anyone added a 12v charger plug in the console?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I added the AUX input to my CD player and now I HATE having to run a cord from the OE charger on the bottom of the dash to charge my phone. Is there enough room to add one somewhere in the console or on the side of it? I think newer GMs have an additional one in the console.
I have a feeling it's been done before.

Or better yet, what would be involved in running one from a power source, under the carpet and into the console without mounting a cig lighter.

Thanks,
Brent
1998 Z71

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
You can buy a 12V outlet at almost any autoparts store. All you have to do is run 2 wires, power and ground. They can be mounted pretty much anywhere. They come with a little bracket or you can make your own. I ran several on my old 94' because it only came with one factory.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is plenty of room to add one to the console under where the cupholder (or cd holder is) just run power (fused) and ground

Reaction score
A USB charger would be a lot simpler and cleaner. Is there an easy/cheap way to do that?

NVMD, I see now.

Thx,
B

Last edited:

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
Easiest USB Options

A USB charger would be a lot simpler and cleaner. Is there an easy/cheap way to do that?

NVMD, I see now.

Thx,
B

For USB I'll give you two suggestions, both are not very expensive.

Look at this. This is the cheapest, and you get two USB Jacks.
You must be registered for see images attach

Car Cigarette Powered Dual USB Adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griffin-Car-Cigarette-Powered-Dual-USB-Adapter-Charge-12V-24V-Black-/321113162700?pt=US_MP3_Player_Chargers_Cradles&hash=item4ac3d603cc

Solder wires to the connectors, cover with heat shrink or tape, drill a hole then mount wherever you want.

>>>>>>>>

Another option. Look at these two items.

Car Led Display USB Power Supply 12V To 5V 3A 15w Power DC-DC Converter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Led-Dis...785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417121dc81
Wire up to your 12v supply.

Then add this> In Car Marine Dashboard Flush Mount USB 2.0 Extension Lead Cable Mounting Panel (same as Metra AX-FMUSBEXTCB)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Car-Marine-Dashboard-Flush-Mount-USB-2-0-Extension-Lead-Cable-Mounting-Panel-/281006995820?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416d52796c&vxp=mtr
Mount wherever you want.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks. I spent about 50-11 hours online at work yesterday and found those. Any of those would be slick.
Regards,
B