anti kill story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys i have a 1993 c1500 scsb 305 tbi backed by a 4l60e feeding 3.42s. truck has had headers since i got it- runs fine and i get decent mileage.
the problem- my grandmas buick is quicker. first gear is great, and from the shift to second to about 50 its weak (when racing- normal driving its acceptable). she shifts around 2400 rpmno matter how i drive (racing or cruising) my kill story goes to my friend in a 2011 kia soul. 1 mile deserted road. he had me the laumch- i held him until it shifted to 2nd and he was just out. with a 500$ loose budget, what would u do? im thinking about hunting around for a sale on gears and doing a ring and pinion swap. the tranny is a fresh rebuilt/ better then original not quite a beast. i keep decent care of it, but being the slowest guy around in a v8 scsb is just wrong to me- even if its only a 305

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
3:73s would give it a little more pep, but you'll loose some cruising speed.

Also look into the ultimate tbi mods and a better flowing exhaust. When was the last tuneup? What size primaries on the headers? Collector size? Too big of headers can kill your power...

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would cruise at the same speed (60) and just live with the 400 rpm increase or so i think. i live in ny, in a 55 most people do 70/75. anything under 60 feels like you need hazards on. i was contemplating 4.11s just since i have 3.42s and its not a huge change to 3.73s. and there long tube headers that are alright for my setup, a race shop/ general mechanic in town did the setup. they go into a single muffler with 1 tip- its def not the best exhaust but better then stock (if it wasn't all stainless i would think its stock) and id hate to pull the tbi off as its my daily and runs so smooth, just slow

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Your best bet if you are dead set on 4:10s is to hit the junkyard and look for a 88-98 chevy or gmc with the rpo code of gt5 in the glove box. I would say it will be harder to find a gt5 in a c1500. A g80 rpo code will also help being a posi track rear end. You can use a k1500 rear axle, but it will be 6 lug.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man, im not deadset on 4.11s im really open to anything. Im deadset on my daily not being a bigger project then my project cars and still being faster then a 4 cylinder hampster mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a truck... It'll probably never be faster than that 4 cyl hamster mobile. At least without getting really expensive :popcorn:

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind a brand new ring and pinion, as most are within my pricerange and leave money for either gas or other mods lol maybe ill do the tbi upgrades while doing the gears. So now the new question becomes- what gears? And would anyone happen to know if gears will cut my 0-60 fime down from its curent 9.3 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a truck... It'll probably never be faster than that 4 cyl hamster mobile. At least without getting really expensive :popcorn:

lol I but I added stickers! should be as fast as a brz by now :gr_grin: Im not so much looking to be able to beat the kid, but with similar power and slightly more weight I feel like it should be closer- I also have a 1923 ford t bucket if I ever want to accelerate as fast as possible- this would just be to add some pep in its step and to see if anyone else has done a 3.42 to anything swap lol. oh and btw I love the look of your truck, it just looks right

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh and btw a majority of my driving is around town or to a few towns over, im rarely cruising for more the 20 mines so hwy economy isn't my biggest concerm, but its still a concern