answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy454

Reaction score
Update. It's only shifting once or twice the rest of the time it stays in second.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
hey quick question. does anyone have a picture available of a properly adjusted T.V.(kickdown) cable on a 88ish 3/4 ton 350 4x4 chevy? Im wondering if the previous owner or myself screwed up the cable when the trans was replaced. I replaced the trans when I got the truck and the previous owner had the engine and trans removed after he blew up the 350. The previous owner had some friends do the work. I'h sure that if they had somehow damaged the cable they would have simply replaced it with a T.V. cable that happened to be lying around. At *** the cable still has 1/2 to 3/4 inch of play in it. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. The trans won't shift out of first by itself until its been driven 5-10 miles at 2000 rpm, then shifts into and out of 2nd fine. Had 3rd at one point earlier this winter. Which happens to be the exact same problem the last trans had. When we bought the replacement everything but 1st was stuck. The fluid looks clean and red and doesn't smell burned or scorched at all. Please help.
700R4?

crkrjac

Reaction score
Hey guys. Not trying to muck up thread, but could you please take a look @ the thread I started REBUILT 4L60E PROBLEMS. Thanks. Again I apologize if this is not the right place to post this.

chevy454

Reaction score
sorry forgot to mention that. Ya the 700r4. Also not sure if it matters, but the trans was completely empty when purchased. No idea for how long. Thanks

GMC Ranch

Reaction score
Hey folks, forgive me if this isnt the right place but I thought since we were digging into the guts of a 4L60E trans, I thought Id ask about the issues mine has recently developed. I have a 97 GMC K1500 with 278,*** on it, bought it from our mechanic who believes its still on its original trans, but I dont think thats true (not sure if its a Z71 or not, push button transfer case, EZ steer option, oil cooler in front of the condenser like most Z71's Ive seen, truck was painted and debadged by the PO). The truck will shift fine thru 1-3, sometimes it wont go into OD at all, and sometimes it wont stay in OD, but rapidly flicker back between 3rd and OD before picking whichever gear it wants. Sometimes manually shifting between OD and 3rd fixes it, sometimes (knock on wood) it behaves for long or short trips. My ABS light recently came on, and I have been told that the computer can misread that as the brake pedal being applied which will unlock the torque converter and mess with the transmissions gear changes. Any ideas? I really appreciate the help.

dexshaw

Reaction score
I hope I haven't missed this some where along the way but I am unable to find this problem in the tranny section hoping to get some idea as to what I need to look for. 1996 two door tahoe. 5.7 l 4l60e tranny has 15000 km on rebuild vortec is gm crate with 5000 km. when cruising on the hi way around 100 km per hour guess 60 miles excel to speed then slightly let off so torque lock is engaging. Everything to this point feels normal shifts from 1st up to od all gears smooth like normal but when the torque lock engages the truck seems to kinda buck or slightly jerk very noticeable as the torque lock engages. This will continue to happen every time the toque lock engages. The truck never did this before having the spider swapped out not sure if this can have anything to do with this type of symptom. Had tranny shop check tranny said it is ok line pressure was good and tranny functioning like it should. So what the heck does a guy check kinda at a loss. Thanx for any ideas. The only thing code wise is it is picking up #2 miss fire but not kicking on cel light.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Hey folks, forgive me if this isnt the right place but I thought since we were digging into the guts of a 4L60E trans, I thought Id ask about the issues mine has recently developed. I have a 97 GMC K1500 with 278,*** on it, bought it from our mechanic who believes its still on its original trans, but I dont think thats true (not sure if its a Z71 or not, push button transfer case, EZ steer option, oil cooler in front of the condenser like most Z71's Ive seen, truck was painted and debadged by the PO). The truck will shift fine thru 1-3, sometimes it wont go into OD at all, and sometimes it wont stay in OD, but rapidly flicker back between 3rd and OD before picking whichever gear it wants. Sometimes manually shifting between OD and 3rd fixes it, sometimes (knock on wood) it behaves for long or short trips. My ABS light recently came on, and I have been told that the computer can misread that as the brake pedal being applied which will unlock the torque converter and mess with the transmissions gear changes. Any ideas? I really appreciate the help.

I have a similar problem with mine and my recent theory is related to why my brake lights aren't working. I belive both mine and your problem is the brake switch on the pedal. Check to see if you here the clicking sound when you press the brake pedal

GMC Ranch

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with mine and my recent theory is related to why my brake lights aren't working. I belive both mine and your problem is the brake switch on the pedal. Check to see if you here the clicking sound when you press the brake pedal

My pedal clicks pretty loudly actually and my brake lights work well, ive seen before with brake lights not working both the pressure switch go bad due to fatigue from years of stopping, and also sometimes FUBAR trailer plug wiring lol. However the brake switch wont be ruled out, I'll do some prodding with a volt meter after work today and see if that could be my issue