Another TBI running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming that. You said you've done the IAC min air adjustment several times, but have you tried just adjusting the throttle plates so that you get around 15 steps on the IAC at idle? It's something easy to try, and it's free.

I cant get the IAC lower than about 60

opus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wont go lower. I could do the tps but then I would probably down to .10-.15v Should I be doing this with it unplugged, like I was going to reset it or just go out and do it, which is what I did.

Stupid question....how could I tell I was at 15 if I unplugged it. LOL

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wont go lower. I could do the tps but then I would probably down to .10-.15v Should I be doing this with it unplugged, like I was going to reset it or just go out and do it, which is what I did.
With it plugged in. The TPS voltage should increase not decrease. You're opening the throttle blades with the adjustment screw so that the IAC steps go to a smaller number.

opus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raising the idle with the screw raises the IAC number. Lowest I can get is 45 unless I start adjusting the TPS.

I tried again. I can get to 40 when the screw is not touching the throttle plate lever. I screw it in and it goes to 35. If I go any further, it goes back to 40. I have the TPS set to the lowest it will go and the voltage is about .17v

Last edited:

Dave11

Reaction score
I have removed and cleaned then 5 times. I did not cut the ends off because everything ohm'd out ok.

The ground is not on the thermostat housing. Guess I can replace them for giggles.
Did you ohm that wire at the ecm connector when you checked that? I’ve never got been able to check a ground by using checking the ohms with a multimeter and getting a good reading simply because when your checking it that way your not putting any kind of a load on it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ohm that wire at the ecm connector when you checked that? I’ve never got been able to check a ground by using checking the ohms with a multimeter and getting a good reading simply because when your checking it that way your not putting any kind of a load on it.
ABSOLUTELY correct.

Better way to test is to perform a VOLTAGE DROP test. Lower voltage drop is better. You don't want your wires to have VD. All you need is an accurate voltmeter, and to run the system while testing.

An ohmmeter uses a tiny amount of current, voltage drop testing uses the entire circuit load for testing.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So.....check voltage drop on the power wire to the CTS?
I would be scanning the data stream to see if the ECM is getting proper data from the sensor and wire harness. If the weather is 50 degrees, and before you start the engine for the day, the coolant temp reads reasonably close to 50 degrees; and after the engine warms up it gets to 190--200-ish, I'd say the coolant temperature sensor and harness are fine.