Another 4wd actuator issue, kinda

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Lee

Reaction score
So the 4wd didnt engage the other day, thought it was odd considering I upgraded to the electronic actuator last year. But who knows these things fail right. the front diff lock light didnt turn on either.

I get home with the truck off but in the on position I engage 4wd and can hear the actuator moving, still no 4wd though. I check and the front driveshaft is engaged though. back to 2wd and the front driveshaft is disabled. I did test the light bulb as well and its good.

up on jack stands it goes, all 4 tires off the ground. I unscrew the actuator and engage 4wd, it pushes out, so the actuator is still good.

I grab a 1/2" extension and shove it in the hole, I can only get it move about 1/8" inch. tried spinning the tires, tried spinning the driveshaft, all while pushing, cant get it to move more then 1/8". Its not frozen cause it does move, and its been in my heated shop overnight. I tried screwing the extended actuator in and can barely get it to catch 1 thread but it wont go in.

Whats going on here?

Any idea's?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're not that bad to take apart. Then again I'm not sure how far the actuator really pushes the fork inside. All it does inside is push a collar onto a gear like a syncro in a tranny.

Chris Lee

Reaction score

Chris Lee

Reaction score
Replaced the clip ($2.50 at a local gear shop, dealer didn't have any) and I'm good to go again !!!!

Thank you all so much, this really is an amazing forum