Amount of lift for 40" tires on SAS??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FUNINMUD

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i'm finally starting to do some work on the 98.

Originally I was going to run a 38" tire however my buddy is upgrading to 40s on his jeep so i'm unsure which size I will go. I plan to play on rocks as i'm finally over mud and how it helps rot my truck.

So the brackets usually add 4" of lift. I already have a 2" body lift so which size springs should I go with?? Rear is currently sporting a shackle flip and 2" block.
Back when I had 38.5 boggers they barely cleared with the cepek and 2" body lift so i'm thinking I would need 6" springs or so?

Thanks!!

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
You want 40s and you want to play in the rocks now? I wouldn't worry as much about what size springs you need as much as how much you need to trim to make it work in the rocks.

FUNINMUD

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, yes that's why i'm kind of lost. With some flex she will need room and that's why i'm lost.
Really my original idea was to run a 35 to 38..

What was the total lift you had on your 2000?

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
lol, yes that's why i'm kind of lost. With some flex she will need room and that's why i'm lost.
Really my original idea was to run a 35 to 38..

What was the total lift you had on your 2000?

In this picture the front was 3 inch from brackets, 2 inches from springs and the back was 5.5 inch block then I had a 3 inch body lift on it and it was on 37s. So a total of 8 inches basically all around.

You must be registered for see images attach

Same setup but with a 1 inch zero rate added to the front. This is the only picture I have of this setup that shows he whole truck on level ground.

This is with 3 inch from brackets, 4 inch springs, 5.5 inch block in rear and no body lift with 35s.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
i have bds 8" rear springs up front which make them out to 12" lift when used up front without the extra from the brackets and the add a leaf i added to the pack(needed to add spring rate for the big block weight) which make my lift out to around 17" or so and my 40's still try to self clearance off road.

a few things come into play with a sas, if you use long springs with a lot of arch and long shackles to allow full use of the flex of that arch you get a ton of flex, the problem is you also get a ton of axle walk as well under compression so you need more clearance in the rear of the wheelwell.

now if you use a 12" lift front spring there is much less flex and axle walk as its a stiffer pack and even more severe arch that actually wants to fight the flex but then you get where that makes rock crawling more of a issue.

both setups have their issues, i prefer a long spring since mine is only offroad

the long flexy rear springs up front is best for rocks but you #1 need the axle forward more and cut the fenders and #2 most likely will want full hydro with that setup

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
IMO to rock crawl you want a low center of gravity and hack away a lot of body to fit big tires. I have about 11" of lift, 3" hangers and 8" springs, and I went from 38.5" procomps to 37" mud grapplers. I have enough clearance for some minimal rock crawling and more set up for trails and mud. I would like to be a hair lower but it flexes pretty good

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Should have kept that rubicon for rocks if that's what you wanted to do. It didn't take much to get my 37s into my fenders.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Also since you wanna do rocks I would suggest going with a triangulated 3 link or maybe a 4 link as opposed to leafs. Would be much better.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I planned on running 6" of lift with 40s on my SAS and wanted mine to be an identical set up to ORD's 2011 UA truck. After talking to Chris at ORD their truck is 6" with 40s. So I ordered their kit which is 3" of lift in just the brackets as well as a set of custom 47" long 3" lift Alcan Springs. For the rear, I'm running a 6" shackle in stock configuration which would actually lower the truck an inch according to Chris with a set of custom 7" lift Alcan Springs. Course you're gonna have to move the front axle forward some to clear the firewall as well as do some trimming for 40s with little lift. Lift isn't as big an issue as everyone thinks with big tires. Hell I run 35s with absolutely no lift and no T-bar crank. I have no rear bumps right now and no trimming on the bed and only get into the body when I really try to flex it hard.

My truck:

ORD's UA truck:

Last edited:

FUNINMUD

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input and pics!!

Got some thinking to do big time!! When I say play on rocks it isn't as crazy as you see crawlers and stuff on tv. Very mild. Pulled a fender off and found clay from I bet 6 years ago. FML
I really like the look of how yours turned out Dirty. Think i'd rather sacrifice some for streetability.