Alternator Mounting???????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

naphidim

Reaction score
Got a 1990 chevy 4.3l v6 and looking to upgrade the old alternator for a higher amp one, but most of the higher amp ones say left mounted, what does that mean cuz when u stand infront of the truck and look under the hood the alternator is on the right, so how would i mount a left mounted one?

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
LEFT Side = Driver Side I am fairly certain.
Just throwing this out there but I have heard you can play around with the mounting.. either side will work as long as the proper brackets are used!

Let someone else chime in on this to verify though

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Left side is drivers side.

Left and right are as you look down on the truck from above.

Same with ships and aircraft....

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Left side is drivers side.

Left and right are as you look down on the truck from above.

Same with ships and aircraft....

Yep. Left = port. Right = starboard. No word of a lie I have caught myself talking about the "port" side of my truck before...

naphidim

Reaction score
Damn, thanx guys, 3 confirmations its on the left side, good now i can get the 140 amp alternator,

just throwing this out there, i heard that a 3 wire hookup is better than the 1 wire hookup, does anyone know of any truth to this? An automotive wiring book i have says "The 1 wire hookup slowly drains ur battery because of a slight bleed off between the output stud and its internal sensing due to its design" Has anyone experienced this issue with a 1 wire hookup?