Alternator issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last month I brought my alternator in to have it rebuilt and have the amperage increased. Brought the alt home and threw it in the truck, drove for 3 weeks before it stopped charging. Brought it back to the shop who rebuilt it, was told it was the regulator. They fixed it on Monday, I put it back in yesterday morning. Leaving work at night, I'm at a light and I notice the voltage is low. I tap the gas and it jumps back up for a second but then drops and stayed there. Looks like the regulator may be shot again.

Anything on the truck side I should look at that might be blowing the regulator? The alternator was fine up until I brought it to be rebuilt.

KevinL1987

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you had your battery tested lately?

It is possible that your battery is weak or has a dead cell and is causing your alt to worker harder to keep it maintained, which could be causing your issues.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Check all connections to the alternator, but in particular, jiggle the harness connection to it - these can get finicky and cause the alternator to stop charging, or charge intermittently as the connection fails. Happened to me very recently. If so, needs new pigtail or the socket on the alternator might be toast.

Richard

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Threw in a rebuilt unit from advance auto this morning... It's survived the drive to work and back home. Will see how it holds up. I'll be dropping the HO one off at shop to have the fix it again.

digdug18

Reaction score
Have you considered adding a 2nd alternator? It's a viable option, which is a bit easier if you don't have a/c. But requires a custom mount be fabricated.

Also depends on how much amperage you a pulling on a regular basis. Might be easier to have a truck with a killer system, and also a truck/car to drive to work in. But I don't know your situation.