Air shock kit question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prginocx

Reaction score
What I have now: K2500, 6' bed, Xcab, 5.7L, AT, absolutely stock '94 truck with 128k orig. miles. I use it as my RV, quite a bit of 4X4 after I set down the cabover camper. 8.5' Lance Camper weighs 1878lbs dry.

What I have now on the rear: Super duty Monroe shocks with the external spring around the housing, and Timbren load levelers mounted twixt the axle and leaf spring. The shocks make the rear of the truck ride high, which is fine EXCEPT when its time to load / unload the camper. You have to go 8" higher in the air to get the camper off / ON.

The reason I did the above, is to eliminate the bottoming out / ass dragging look when the hauling the camper. Anyway, I've worked with the above solution for a long time, and other than the back end riding up so high load / unload hassle, it has worked fine and handled the extra camper weight well.

Now one of my shocks is leaking ( 6 years, no surprise ) so I've got to do something. Several people have recommended dumping my whole setup, and installing an air compressor / air shock system. They told me the truck rides level all the time, then when I load the camper, I just pump up the rear end, and it rides level. Will I have to vent some air to unload the camper, Or will I just have the same hassle as now ? Is going with Air shocks a good solution ? I'm also thinking of just getting some normal type replacement shocks, and seeing how it rides with the Timbren load levelers alone. Any suggestions ?

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've used those monroe's with the coil in the past and here is my experience, they do offer some load leveling assistance, but those shock mounts were not designed to support a load and, if loaded heavy enough or if the shock binds, they will tear the moutns off the axle or frame.

If I were you, this is what I would do.

Ditch everything you currently have, install a quality shock in teh stock location, run a standard 3/4 ton rear spring that supports I believe 2500# per spring. (ill check that)

and..

then I would add air bags (google firestone ride rite for an example). I think you typed air shocks but ment air bags, they are two different things completely. The air bags do not dampen the your ride and when uninflated are un-noticable.
Depending on the kit you choose, they generally will support more weight than the truck is rated for

You do not need all the gizmo's and on board compressors, you can hook up a simple schreader valve under the rear bumper with a guage and air up when loading up from a standard compressor and to add more air in the field, simply carry one of those small portable 12 volt compressors. This is not ideal, but doable.

Or you can go all high tech and get a onboard air compressor with self leveling abilities and interior guages and switches and all sorts of doo dadds.

prginocx

Reaction score

Wstrnsky

Big Sky Country
Reaction score
Airlift Item# 57216.... Amazon has the kit for $287.10. Free shipping if you are a Prime member. Plus there is a $50 Rebate so $237.10. I have this exact kit on my 95 it has been on for over 16 years and never given me any problems. Easy afternoon install in the garage. It also has a frame brace to reinforce the inside of the frame where the airbag rests. Probably take longer to strip your current setup than to install this one. The best thing is you can adjust both bags or each to get side to side leveling as well as front to back. I ran my airline and fill fittings to the rear bumper. I air down to load the camper then when its on I air up to level it out. I also noticed that it helped side to side swaying off road and cross winds going down the road.

Last edited:

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would take out every thing an go with bags. they are so much better them timberlans. timberlands are just bump stops. as said with bags you can level the back and side to side. i have them and love them. i have the air lift ride control bags. you would want the super duty version.