Air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Sorry for dark and crappy pictures, sunsets before I get done work. should be able to give you an idea though.
I have the same air box. I never thought about adding a pipe next to the battery. I did get rid of the OE paper filter though, and out in a high flow filter. IDK why the pic is sidways.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with @df2x4.

I have been told to never get cold air intakes, the factory air intakes are actually better. The open filter just brings in engine air, which you will then loose power.

So the K47 box is bigger? Mine does not look like that and mine was a Z71, did they change the style in 98 from 96? Saw a 96 today at the salvage yard and it looked just like one @df2x4 has, mine looks like this:

I thought Z71's got a bigger housing didn't they? Or was it just the filter?

The one in my 1998 Z71 (with the K47) looks like that. When looking for a replacement box for my 1998 Tahoe, all of the salvage yard boxes looked like your photo for 1998 and up. They all looked like this, regardless of K47 (unless there is something inside that is different?):

From what I saw, the 1997 and under didn’t have the smaller “box” thing on the side and looked like this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with @df2x4.

I have been told to never get cold air intakes, the factory air intakes are actually better. The open filter just brings in engine air, which you will then loose power.

So the K47 box is bigger? Mine does not look like that and mine was a Z71, did they change the style in 98 from 96? Saw a 96 today at the salvage yard and it looked just like one @df2x4 has, mine looks like this:

I thought Z71's got a bigger housing didn't they? Or was it just the filter?

Z71 package had nothing to do with the K47 code to my knowledge. You could have a Z71 with or without it.

The one in my 1998 Z71 (with the K47) looks like that. When looking for a replacement box for my 1998 Tahoe, all of the salvage yard boxes looked like your photo for 1998 and up. They all looked like this, regardless of K47 (unless there is something inside that is different?):

From what I saw, the 1997 and under didn’t have the smaller “box” thing on the side and looked like this:

That's odd... I've never seen a gas engine K47 box that looks like that. It looks just like the '97 standard box to me. So you've seen multiple instances of this post-'98?

I have the same air box. I never thought about adding a pipe next to the battery. I did get rid of the OE paper filter though, and out in a high flow filter. IDK why the pic is sidways.

The sight of that K&N in the K47 box brings back memories of fouling MAF sensors... :lol:

I'm glad you haven't had any problems Kenny, but that is the exact type of oiled gauze hose clamp filter that I warn people to stay away from.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had that filter in my A B for a long time, this is the second filter like that. The first one had been in there for so long, that the rubber neck tore and I had to replace it. IDK if the fact that I have used a Jet programer on it maters or not

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's odd... I've never seen a gas engine K47 box that looks like that. It looks just like the '97 standard box to me. So you've seen multiple instances of this post-'98?

I grabbed those photos from car-part.com, but when I was last at the salvage yard all of the 98+ at the yard had the same style box. Some had the K47 RPO but most did not.

All of the 96-97 had the other style box, but I didn’t check the labels on those for the K47 since I was looking for a 98.

I’m not sure why they changed.

chasinbass

Reaction score
I have the k47 box that I had to remove to make room for triple alt so my question is can you post a pick of the smaller box ? I went to a cold air intake and would also like to go back to a stock box if it will fit ?

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Late to the party on this one, but here's my 2 cents.

Don't waste money on an intake (as has been discussed).

The throttle blade mod (removing the lip) does make it more of an off/on switch. I did mine, and am used to it. If I lived in the land of ice and snow, I'm not so sure it would be a good thing. I think it is there to let the power ease on a little smoother from idle. I have to feather mine a bit in the rain, but I've grown used to it.

I removed the air resonator box that covers the distributor. I don't think it does much for performance since it's out of the air flow, but it makes it easier to work on stuff.

If you get a mail order tune, keep your old computer and just pay the core fee. You'll be thankful when you need to send your computer back for a retune, and you won't have to have your truck sitting idle for a week while waiting. Ask me how I know this.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
People always love to diss the throttle blade mod because they feel it turns the throttle into an on/off switch. What nobody ever praises it for is how much better the truck holds a gear after doing it, how much less it downshifts, and how much less pedal it takes to get the thing moving.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the k47 box that I had to remove to make room for triple alt so my question is can you post a pick of the smaller box ? I went to a cold air intake and would also like to go back to a stock box if it will fit ?

From what I have seen, they used one air filter box for 1995-97 and one for 1998 and up. They appear to take up the same amount of space.

I have not seen a difference in the 1998 box for K47 and standard capacity filters, and wonder if the difference lies in the filter itself and the 90-elbow that fits into the side of the filter housing.

Beats me.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I don't think there's much of a size difference between the two boxes, honestly. Maybe a little bit but it's nothing spectacular. The standard boxes look exactly like the first picture that @east302 posted, which is why I'm a little confused as to why that one is listed as a K47.

'97 and '98 list the same part numbers for ACDelco air filters, A1300C for the standard boxes and A1301C for the K47s. It seems really strange to me that they would change the design of the K47 boxes in '98 out of the blue... Wish we had some more confirmation on this, not that I'm doubting anyone here.

People always love to diss the throttle blade mod because they feel it turns the throttle into an on/off switch. What nobody ever praises it for is how much better the truck holds a gear after doing it, how much less it downshifts, and how much less pedal it takes to get the thing moving.

Personally I never noticed anything related to shifting from the throttle blade mod.