Air Conditioning Problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zack88

Reaction score
I wasn't really sure where to post this but since it's under the hood I put it here. If their is a better section feel free to move mods!

I've only owned my 99 crew 2500 with the 350 for a little over a month now, when I got it the ac didn't work so I jumped the compressor switch on the accumulator and got it working with a little over a can and a half (the first one leaked a lot before I got the switch jumper in place) .

It had been cooling okay since then and the jumper stayed because the switch was bad until last Friday I replaces the switch and it all worked fine ( I have the Schrader under the switch).

I drove it home from work last night and it wad cold the whole trip but today it's not cool at all. I jumped the switch again and it's still not cooling so I'm dealing with a leak somewhere!

When I pulled the cap off behind the compressor originally it was leaking and I charged it then it still leaked until I put the cap back on, I'm sure that's not right but it didn't seem like a normal Schrader valve? What do I need to replace it with? That's my first culprit any other ideas what to check? I don't have a set of gauges just the inline one on the hose for the Freon can.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
The Schrader valve is the leak. The cap will not hold the freon in the AC system.
You will need to get a Schrader valve tool to remove it. The tool is usually a little longer for AC system Schrader valves compared to tire Schrader valve tools.

Remove the Schrader valve slowly. There may still be a little pressure behind it. You don't want it to shoot out and loose itself.
Take the removed Schrader valve to any parts store and they should have a new one for you.
They are pretty standard across all makes and models of vehicles.