‘95 K1500 air conditioning system Q.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to sort out the A/C on my new-to-me ‘95 Sierra. It was DOA and I did get it to run with a can of refrigerant. I DO plan to vacuum and fully recharge the system, but I want to make sure the system doesn’t have any leaks or issues before throwing $40.00 worth of refrigerant into it.

Right now the system “runs” but the compressor cycles off when the high side pressure is only at about 80 PSI. Initially I was thinking the high-pressure switch might be bad, but I’m not sure there IS a separate high side switch.

There is (what I think to be) a low-pressure switch back by the dryer. There is (what I thought was) a high-pressure with mounted to the top rear of the compressor itself. I don’t see any other switches, but maybe I’m not looking in the right place. I made a trip to the parts store this morning and they listed the switch on the compressor itself as a fan switch.

I can’t imagine that the switch on the low pressure side controls both high and low pressure cutoff, but I’m not very imaginative.

Help?

Thank you,
Tom.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The compressor cycles fast because of the low refrigerant level. That means the compressor is sucking the evaporator "dry", so the low-pressure switch disables the compressor clutch.

More refrigerant will keep the compressor engaged longer, and build more high-side pressure.

Download the service manual for your truck, that'll tell you what all the switches do.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The low pressure side stays within an acceptable range while it cycles.
I DO have the service manual downloaded but it’s such a PITA to scroll through it I thought I’d ask here first. Once upon a time I had the four-volume service manual set. I wish I still did because flipping through a book is easy. More than half the time if I try to speed-scroll through the downloaded manual it’ll freeze up then take me back to the beginning.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The low pressure side stays within an acceptable range while it cycles.
Generally, if the low side pressure drops below 20-25 PSI, the Pressure Cycling Switch will shut of the compressor until the pressure raises back up to ~40-45 PSI.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's DOA it most likely has a leak. If you don't want to **** around, charge it at friendly garage with DYE, locate the leak( get black light torch from ebay or wherever) , once you locate the leak go back and discharge-this way you'll only pay for the refrigerant you used up-and imo it's the cheapest way to find the leak.