Air conditioning clutch wont engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fumanchu2.7

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to the site. I've got a 96 K1500 with the 5.0, and the air conditioning clutch will not engage. The controls in the dash are not lighting up, but they do seem to work, as I can get the blower to work at different speeds, and the heater works, although I'm in phoenix, and its 105 out today. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your AC is most likely low on Freon. There is a pressure switch that will not let your AC come on if the pressure is to high or to low in the system. You can get a can of the DIY ac recharge and add a little Freon to then system at a time. You can also take a jumper wire from the pos on the battery and make the clutch engage by touching the contact on the compressor where the wire comes in to it from the side that is coming from the cab. The other contact is a ground. If the clutch engages, then it is low on Freon. The AC recharge kits work very well, I have used them for years, but it is easy to over charge the system, so just add a little at a time. I use one that looks like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics...ie=UTF8&qid=1433895034&sr=8-7&keywords=ac+pro

Last edited:

Fumanchu2.7

Reaction score
Update, I pulled the relay out and jumped the 30 and 85 pins with a wire, and the clutch engaged. with the system running, I added some r134, and it got cool. For the time being, Ive got that circuit on a toggle switch to control the clutch, but I guess Im down to three possibilities. High limit switch, Low Limit Switch, or the controls themselves are shot. I know the fan speed on the controls works, but the AC button doesn't seem to work, I cant get air to blow anywhere but the vents, and there's no lights on it whatsoever. Im leaning towards the controls, but am looking for your opinions. Thanks

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the controls are known to fail hit a pick and pull and get one and try it,just went thru this the other day with a 00 3500 dump truck had ac workin perfect my buddies guys drove it for work the next day no ac,I went to his shop at the end of the day and it worked fine today same thing replaced control and been workin for the past 2 hrs no problem

Fumanchu2.7

Reaction score
Cool, Thanks. Sounds like a fun Saturday morning. I need some trim pieces anyways