After Seafoam????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I've seen alot of post on how great this stuff is at cleaning out the system, I am planning on running it through this week. My question is has anyone had bad results after???? I am just thinking cleaning all that crap out could it cause a older enngine leak like a siv :hmm: or start burning oil because I removed the built up crud that was also half working as a seal, just my thoughts lets hear yours.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
For me it went like this..

Hmm.. I should run sea foam through my engine just to see if it will do anything, the can says its pretty easy to do and harmless..

So I waited till the next day at work when all of us hicks were on break, put half a can in my vacuum hose (I know vortecs are split so you need to actually get a straw and *********** the throttle body to get all 8 cylinders).

Started it up, smoked up the parking lot and was a little aggressive like the can says to be.

Parked, went back to work, after work started up the ol' truck and called up the old lady on the way home, next thing you know CHECK GAUGES - TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY DEGREES the temp gauge read.

A few days later with over $680 bucks in repairs, I now have a new intake gasket which also came with other problems, like seized head bolts and such.

**** seafoam, my truck had no problems at all before I put that in.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Ran it in my Firebird years ago and had a simular issue as RHamill. If it's not broke, don't fix it!

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I have never had any problems with it and have used it on several vehicles for years. The way i see it, if it causes a problem then it was a ticking time bomb anyway.

My advice is if the truck has lacked maintenance and/or has high miles than don't. But if all that stuff is in order and you feel comfortable then give it a shot.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used it on my old truck and it didnt do a whole hell of a lot, didnt get a lot of smoke or anything.....I think the truck might have idled a little better maybe. Not quite as amazing as some people make it out to be. Didnt hurt anything though.

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am confident the guy who had it before me didnt know his as****** from his elbow when it came to this truck, it took over two hours scrubing the tb to remove all the build up, but at least now its as good as new, reading these post is exactly why I asked they never advertise HEY THIS WILL DESTROY YOUR ENGINE

Klumpper

Reaction score
I've never let it ingest through the throttle body of my pickup or cars i've worked on, but I did run it in the oil of my dad's 97 Tahoe for ~100 miles when it had a slight lifter tick. Truck has 160k miles, and it does need intake gaskets, needed them before, but the lifter tick it had is no longer audible. Oil was due for changing, during my drives the oil typically does get hot, and changed it out when I got home.

As for dumping it through the intake, after seeing how much crud was built up inside my intake and TB via the EGR, I don't think want that crap trying to squeeze through the valves. I'll clean them the good old fashion way with some elbow grease.

-edit - Now that the intake is cleaned after intake gasket job, i could see dumping it through. but when i was scraping off over 1/4" of gunk in most places, i didn't feel the need to risk it.

Last edited:

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I've never let it ingest through the throttle body of my pickup or cars i've worked on, but I did run it in the oil of my dad's 97 Tahoe for ~100 miles when it had a slight lifter tick. Truck has 160k miles, and it does need intake gaskets, needed them before, but the lifter tick it had is no longer audible. Oil was due for changing, during my drives the oil typically does get hot, and changed it out when I got home.

As for dumping it through the intake, after seeing how much crud was built up inside my intake and TB via the EGR, I don't think want that crap trying to squeeze through the valves. I'll clean them the good old fashion way with some elbow grease.

Click the link in my signature and join the Michigan Members Group.

I haven't ran it through any crank cases yet, I'm scared of what the OP is scared of, taking to much 'good gunk' off the seals that might cause a leak.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
well i have the tbi 5.7 and i ran it a week after i bought the truck and ran like a champ after. smoked like a forest fire but it definitely worked. i do recommend changing the spark plugs after you run sea foam. it burn the tips up lol