After pulling fuse, truck doesn't stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
1994 Chev 1500 350 TBI

My truck has power seats from a newer vehicle (not sure where they're from but it doesn't matter for this problem) The seats have not worked since I got the truck and I wanted to move them so as the truck was idling I was pulling fuses from under the dash to see if any were burnt out and hopefully make the seats work.

Anyway, as I was pulling fuses I pulled one and the truck instantly died so I put the fuse back in and tried starting it again, the truck cranked over but wont start, no sputtering, nothing. So I pulled the battery for a couple days and tried again, now it fired right up but stalled out after a couple minutes then acted like before again, it turns over but no fire.

Any ideas what would cause this? I'll hook up the battery and try again when I get home tonight but I think I'll have the same result.

before I pulled that fuse it ran perfect, plenty of power, shifted great, no hesitation or misfires, etc.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In case you havent figured it out, its not a good idea to pull fuses while its running.

First you need to determine the nature of the issue, is it no spark or no fuel.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Did you run it out of gas?(that would be a strange coincidence, but I have to ask.) What fuse did you pull?

joedee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like the security for some reason .. my 1998 did this except thing my truck wasnt running ..I pulled fuse 21 in the dash and it would fire and then stall replaced the fuse it would run fine. (my fault for not knowing fuse locations) I dont think pulling a fuse while running would harm the security deal on the truck . But check that fuse and maybe explore that issue more ...My best guess and my seat wont work either havent in a month with a good fuse still searching for the issue also

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Did you run it out of gas?(that would be a strange coincidence, but I have to ask.) What fuse did you pull?

ok, now I feel like an idiot. It did run out of gas, just freak luck that it happened right when I pulled the fuse. I guess I know the gas gauge isn't working now. lol.

Sorry for the useless post.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Glad it was a simple fix.

I bought a truck once that "didn't run" that was just out of gas. I didn't tell the guy, it probably would have just made him mad at himself.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I had a courier do that once with one of our fleet cars.
He said it just quit.
I had to travel an hour down to Denver, winch the car on a trailer, and tow it another hour over to The Boulder shop.

I checked the car out quickly and saw that the fuel gauge read below empty.
I pored two gallons of fuel in the tank, primed the pump a few times, and she started right up.
:nono: