Adding Tweeters to Factory Bose Audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello all! I recently purchased a '99 Denali and found unsurprisingly the factory audio system was lacking. Now I already have a car with a pretty nice SQ system so I didn't want to start spending a ton of money and time on the Yukon so I decided to work with what I had. For those unfamiliar 1999 and 2000 Yukon Denalis and Escalades came with a 7 speaker Bose "Acoustimass" stereo with 6.5" front, 5.25" rear, and 3.5" roof mounted to plates to fill the 4x10 opening, as well as a console mounted subwoofer. The system is reasonably clear in the frequency ranges it can produce, so I figured if I could add tweeters it would be tolerable. So I went down to pick-your-part and got a pair of tweeters in the same color as my interior from the pillars of an '02 Denali.
You must be registered for see images attach

I then had to decide where to mount them. I originally wanted to do the base of the pillars but couldn't find the speaker wires under the dash. However, there were blank plugs in the doors for tweeters that not only are live but fit the plugs on the NBS tweeters as well. They could be mounted anywhere in the door but I didn't want to hack up my panels so after seeing how another member mounted theirs I decided to put them in the door handle trim. It's not ideal placement for SQ but the panels are easily replaced and make a good flush mount point. I started by marking where I wanted the center of the tweeter.

I then cut a circle for them with a hole saw. BE CAREFUL! It will try to grab the plastic and spin it at the same speed as the drill. The hole could also be cut with a dremel.

There also needs to be a notch to clear the capacitor and contacts on the tweeter, I cut this with a dremel as well as using it to enlage the hole slightly to fit the tweeter.

I then pressed the tweeter in place.

The hard parts done, you now basically just need to plug them in. First, find the plug below the window switch. It's a two wire black plug with beige/tan wires on the driver side and dark green/light green on the passenger.

The wire now needs to be pushed up between the panel and the door to reach the handle. It's tight but it will fit without removing the door panel.

You can now connect the tweeter and push the plug through the square hole in front of the lock.

And finally the finished product.

It's a nice improvement in clarity for just a couple bucks and took me at most 30 minutes for both doors, plus it looks factory and can easily be reverted to stock.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Colonel Sanders I have a question on the first picture that you posted the tweeter is gray am I right or did you happen to buy gray ones as well?

Reaction score
It's just the material I took the picture on makes it look gray, they're the same tweeters although they are just normal NBS tweeters so they also come in gray.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's just the material I took the picture on makes it look gray, they're the same tweeters although they are just normal NBS tweeters so they also come in gray.

Colonel Sanders you sure did a good job they do look factory on your truck if you go again to salvage yard I'm needing gray tweeters I can Paypal you the money if it's not that much.

Reaction score
I'll keep a look out I stop by the salvage yards pretty frequently, they were only $3.82 a piece plus taxes. What are you planning on doing with your truck?

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a 1993 model ext/cab but so far my tunes are a Alpine head unit 4X6 MA Audio speakers up front but I'm fixing to try out some MB Quart speakers on the dash and for the rear I have some 6X9 Kenwood speakers I'm also running a MTX 5000 Sub pushed by a old skool Fosgate I have some older two channel Amps but I would rather connect a 4 channel amp to run the front speakers and back ones.