Adding AUX input to stock 1994 K1500 Radio - Deleting Tape Deck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danspeed1

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1994 K1500 with the stock radio and the separate auxiliary tape deck. I have no plans to use the tape deck so I removed it. Prior to removing it, I cut the harness from the back so I still have the plug and wiring. I would really like to add an aux input for my cell phone so I can run music through the stock head unit. I already read the "adding aux input to gm radio" thread in the sticky's above but I feel as though my setup is slightly different and I cant seem to get it working so I am posting this thread. I purchased an aux input cable from autozone and I removed the rca cables and separated the wires. What I would ideally like to do is use the cable from the tape deck to send the aux signal into the head unit, however I am open to any other way to achieve this goal so long as I still retain my am/fm. Again this is a 94 with the head unit, factory separate brain/amp and now deleted tape deck.

Thanks!

Dan

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you get an electronics tech in your area to lend you the schematic diagram for the head unit? Somewhere, there should be a cable connecting the cassette deck to the head unit. Two wires in the cable carry the signal. The diagram would help ID those wires. You'd want to put your input cable to those wires.

Danspeed1

Reaction score
I actually have the wiring diagram but when I connect the red and white wire, nothing happens. I'm thinking since you normally would have to add a tape to the player to get it to play, there is some sort of switch I have to create or something additional that has to be added.

Danspeed1

Reaction score
Just to be clear, because even though you told me to ignore the pre-amp its still confusing me;

The red wire from the tape deck plug goes to -----> the internal wire on the red RCA plug
The black wire from the tape deck plug goes to ------> the internal wire on the white rca plug

The black (ground) wire from the take deck goes to ------> both external wires of the white and red rca plugs that surround the internal wires

A switch has to be added to the system with 100k resistor in between the light blue 14volt wire and dark blue "tape on" wire to trick the head unit into thinking that the non-existent ghost tape is running to mute the am/fm system and allow the 3.5mm ipod plug to take over.

Is this correct?

Thanks so much for the help, this is driving me crazy!

Dan

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you've got this, basically the 3 wires from the ipod headphone plug will go to the 3 corresponding wires on the tape deck harness.

Danspeed1

Reaction score
Hey, Thanks for the reply and all of the information. Its been a busy week so I have not had an opportunity to give this a shot but I will on monday and will report back with the results.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong...

If you completely disconnect the 3 tape cassette wire and plug it directly in the jack, is the sound will be better (no background from the old cassette head?). Also, this could avoid putting a switch and just put a decoy cassette in the tape to put the new aux input ON.
Is someone already done that?