Adding a third brake light to 88-93s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OGEEZER33

Reaction score
As par the course currently, it's out of stock......but this is what I have on camper shells and they haven't given me any trouble....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YHY10XQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1L0O1FXRL08X7&psc=1
Just ran across custompickup.com
The guy is really into tops,etc.
It appears I can put a logic box to allow wiring from left brake/ turn signal without flashing. Under $30 and has a selection of brake lights also.
Found them in repair parts.

oak-wildwood

Reaction score

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just ran across custompickup.com
The guy is really into tops,etc.
It appears I can put a logic box to allow wiring from left brake/ turn signal without flashing. Under $30 and has a selection of brake lights also.
Found them in repair parts.

I tapped into my rear lights, plus my 10ga TT charging wire, ran the wires up behind the driver's side taillights, up through the stakehole, drilled a hole in the lip of my camper shell. I have tail, brake/turn, and charging wires all running my third tali/brake/turn third light. plus LED interior lights for my shells, plus a cigarette port and USB port in the rear corner of my shells. When not towing a TT I sometimes bring a 12v fridge that's plugged in to the port. I also have a connectors to disconnect the wires if I remove the shells.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the logic box is?

oak-wildwood

Reaction score
I tapped into my rear lights, plus my 10ga TT charging wire, ran the wires up behind the driver's side taillights, up through the stakehole, drilled a hole in the lip of my camper shell. I have tail, brake/turn, and charging wires all running my third tali/brake/turn third light. plus LED interior lights for my shells, plus a cigarette port and USB port in the rear corner of my shells. When not towing a TT I sometimes bring a 12v fridge that's plugged in to the port. I also have a connectors to disconnect the wires if I remove the shells.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the logic box is?
It says it keeps your 3rd brake from flashing along with your turn signal. Did you run into that?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OGEEZER33

Reaction score
If your brake light and turn signal use the same filament of the same bulb, hooking to a turn signal will intermittently power the 3rd brake light causing it to flash.
I'm thinking if you have a towing package, or an electric brake controller for a trailer it has a logic box built in.
Newer Fords have a wire stubbed out of a logic box, under the hood, to power the 3rd brake light on a camper.

OGEEZER33

Reaction score
Found the Pacer E20-702 on a couple places for around $15.
I bought a pretty basic/ stock 1 owner 96 with 22,000 miles.
I really didn't want to splice into any wiring so I bought a Y harness from LMC and ran the 4 prong trl plug up through the stake pockect.
I have taillight,2 turn signals, and a ground on the 4 wire trailer power cord.
I'll power interior lights off taillights and use the logic box to do 3rd brake light
Off left turn signal.

OGEEZER33

Reaction score
Alpinecrick, my guess is you have your left and right turn signals on steady while braking instead of a dedicated brake light. You get the desired results.

I like the multipurpose light you're using but opted to stay with the original light that's recessed into my 90's era fiberglass cap.
My truck is 100% as it came from the factory except floormats,bedmat, and cap.

I didn't buy the aforementioned Pacer E20-702 as I found many bad reviews.
I bought an ATC AT-CL-8N that worked 100% as expected. It has ground, left & right turn coming in and a single wire going out to the 3rd brake light.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found the Pacer E20-702 on a couple places for around $15.
I bought a pretty basic/ stock 1 owner 96 with 22,000 miles.
I really didn't want to splice into any wiring so I bought a Y harness from LMC and ran the 4 prong trl plug up through the stake pockect.
I have taillight,2 turn signals, and a ground on the 4 wire trailer power cord.
I'll power interior lights off taillights and use the logic box to do 3rd brake light
Off left turn signal.

Both my 96 and 97 have the trailering package so I just took off from the aftermarket "tee" that goes between the rear lights connector and goes to the 7-way plug. I also replaced the taillight loom from front to back with a slightly larger loom so I could include a 10ga charging wire to the rear of both trucks and then spliced off of that wire to power the lights and a power port in both camper shells. So the parts that are not factory looking are (mostly) hidden. Sometimes for the heck of it I pull my TT or my other trailers with the gas trucks instead of my TD.

But I really like the turn signal feature in my camper shells third light--it helps to get the attention of the people texting on their cell phones........

Last edited: