Accidentally cut purple wire, now fuel gauge doesn't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys, I hope someone can help me out. So a few months ago I was chasing a non-working brake lights issue. In trying to remove the corrugated tubing from the fuse center to the firewall, I accidentally cut a purple and green wire. I spliced and soldered the wires back together, but noticed my fuel gauge is not working. I double checked the splice connections, but they are well made.

I thought If I disconnected the battery that would work, but it didn't. Gauge was working well before (just had the hummingbird effect.) I've been driving it like that, but it's annoying not having a working fuel gauge.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Sorry for double post. Seems like website is having issues.

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mysterious, maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
I'm not sure if cutting a wire will cause excess current in your circuit but seeing as it doesn't take long, maybe you ought to check the fuse?
For '93 & '94 models it's the top left fuse and it's labelled gages.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks amsterdam96. I went and double checked and the gauges fuse is okay. All other guages work fine...

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's me again, sorry to disappoint. Sometimes due to the weather or other factors there can be a layer of contaminant / oxidisation.

"Sounds like a classic cold solder joint. This happens when the solder and pad are insufficiently heated (time or temp), or the surface is not clean, and the wetting action does not occur properly.

If you use a meter to measure from one point to another on the solder itself, it should conduct, but between the solder and wire, there is not actually a good electrical connection."

Keep your soldering iron freshly tinned, use flux. Maybe clean both the wire and the iron with ethanol.

Best of luck & I'll keep my mouth shut if this doesn't work..