AC sucks is there an upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 2000 ccsb... Is there an upgraded blower so the air will blow harder..passengers in the back seats complaining to hot.. Really not blowing hard enough for me in the front either..links or suggestions appreciated

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Pull your blower and get all the pine needles and Taco Bell bags out of there!

Are you sure it's just not cooling well? My AC has always been terrible.....when it "worked" it had to be on Max just to take the edge off on a sunny day, and I've got a regular cab.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull your blower and get all the pine needles and Taco Bell bags out of there!

Are you sure it's just not cooling well? My AC has always been terrible.....when it "worked" it had to be on Max just to take the edge off on a sunny day, and I've got a regular cab.

Ditto on this. Have you cleaned out the evap core recently? May be the issue. Or simply not cooling well enough, as suggested.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Short answer: nope.

Clean you evap core as recommended above is the best you can hope for.

In my experience, the gmt400 platform is pretty weak overall when it comes to HVAC....

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my 88 reg cab swapped from r12 to 134 would freeze your balls off...I put a new top house on my AC and I think is full..my friend is bringing me some gauges this weekend so I'll see...is there a guide on pulling the blower ?

gndd1997

Reaction score
Just did a full dash removal with AC box rebuild (new flappers, cleaned the AC and heater cores, new seals, etc. Sorry no pics) as well as replaced the blower for newest model per Rock Auto. Didn't make much of a difference as far as air volume but it sure smells nicer!! I get more volume from my rear AC system (1997 K2500 Suburban) than the front, so I run both...I need a recharge before getting too far in to summer, but the inside seems to get cold enough on a warm day...so long story short, pull the blower and clean out the hair and leaves!! Also, I know 99 and earlier don't have a cabin filter so I use a home heating regulator filter you can get at any Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware, etc. and cut it to fit on the fresh air intake side then wiggle it in to place on the grid below the blower motor, helps keep the majority of outside junk out.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also check your ducting for the vents, as you may have a such leaking all your air out under the dash.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 98 that we just sold had a bad high pressure switch and the compressor never cycled because of it. I didn't fix it because it would frost your nipples. I currently have the switch bypassed on our 2000 and it too will get ice cold. So far I haven't had any ill effects, time will tell...

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 98 that we just sold had a bad high pressure switch and the compressor never cycled because of it. I didn't fix it because it would frost your nipples. I currently have the switch bypassed on our 2000 and it too will get ice cold. So far I haven't had any ill effects, time will tell...

Pics if the switch? It walk through..I don't ever do AC stuff

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pics if the switch? It walk through..I don't ever do AC stuff

It is the one on the high pressure line right at the compressor. I did it completely Mickey Moused, I used half of a paperclip across the terminals and wrapped it in electrical tape.