AC Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently replaced my entire ac system and finally have wonderful, cold air again in my truck. The problem I am having now is when I turn the ac on for my front vents, it wants to fog up the inside of my windshield and windows. It acts like some of the air is operating on defrost. I have noticed a couple of times some small foam, sitting on the transmission tunnel.

I can switch ac functions and it appears it is working.

Anyone have any suggestions?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to say this but... Your defroster blend door is pooched in one way or another. Dash will have to come out. Both of my trucks are doing the same thing right now and I've been putting it off because I'm not looking forward to the shop labor on that.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I am not too intimidated to pull the dash out but wasn't sure what the best way is to go about fixing it and what else I should do while I am in there.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If nothing else is broken, there's not much else to do while you're in there except to clean.
I'm getting mine put back together. I guess I'm intimidated to vacuum & charge system, so I plan on taking it to a shop on Monday.

You must be registered for see images attach

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If nothing else is broken, there's not much else to do while you're in there except to clean.
I'm getting mine put back together. I guess I'm intimidated to vacuum & charge system, so I plan on taking it to a shop on Monday.

Man, if you can pull all that dash apart and put it back you can do the AC charging. I am sure there is a write up somewhere to help.
For me though, I would likely just have it done at a shop to avoid purchasing the gauges as I probably wouldn't use them but once every few years, lol.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

How many hours you have in getting the dash out and back in?

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe 6 or 7. it's my first time doing it and there was a lot of 'back and forth' for getting it to come out and then reinstalling. Like loosening one side and then the other and then realizing I need to tighten everything back up to loosen something else first.
Dropping the steering wheel and completely pulling it out and then reinstalling was maybe the hardest part. Just had to tell myself to be patient.

Bad news is that I got everything put back together and system evac'd & recharged this weekend and went to drive it to work this morning and as I'm on the highway I hear something hissing and spitting and feel my truck kind of bog down. I pull over and see steam coming out of the grille. Pop the hood and restart the truck to see what's going on and the compressor is throwing sparks out of the clutch/pulley. Luckily I was within a mile of a shop that I've taken the suburban to, so I dropped it off. We'll see what they say.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Not sure about the hiss other than a refrigerant leak, but a compressor throwing sparks usually is the clutch slipping.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe 6 or 7. it's my first time doing it and there was a lot of 'back and forth' for getting it to come out and then reinstalling. Like loosening one side and then the other and then realizing I need to tighten everything back up to loosen something else first.
Dropping the steering wheel and completely pulling it out and then reinstalling was maybe the hardest part. Just had to tell myself to be patient.

Bad news is that I got everything put back together and system evac'd & recharged this weekend and went to drive it to work this morning and as I'm on the highway I hear something hissing and spitting and feel my truck kind of bog down. I pull over and see steam coming out of the grille. Pop the hood and restart the truck to see what's going on and the compressor is throwing sparks out of the clutch/pulley. Luckily I was within a mile of a shop that I've taken the suburban to, so I dropped it off. We'll see what they say.

Oh man, i hate to hear that! Hopefully they can just adjust the clutch and you will be in good shape.

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ripped the dash out of my 93 to dye it black a couple months ago. It is straight forward and easy. Total time including cleaning and dyeing the dash was approximately 4 hours.