AC compressor replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Yeah...that's the expensive one.

Lol!! I figured... F it. This is more of a would be nice. I need to save some cash and then just do it right.

What do you suggest?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as the clutch engages, the belt squeals and slips like a SOB.

Figure on replacing everything (compressor, condenser, receiver / dryer) except evaporator. Replace evaporator too if you wish, but that's not an easy job.

Flush remained parts (hoses and evaporator) of debris, install new parts, etc.

Check orifice tube screen for debris, and watch during flushing to gauge the debris that may be resident in the evaporator and hoses; a high load of debris should inspire more diligent efforts to eradicate... I might be inclined to install a filter on the suction side as a precaution. Let’s see what others say.

A new parallel flow condenser will be a benefit to the system long-term, so that’s an upside.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yep.

Either you go in with the idea of--and budget for--replacing "everything", or walk away.

Now, MAYBE you tear it apart and discover that there are some pieces that can be saved. Call that a bonus.

Is there any refrigerant charge left? Leak test the thing THOROUGHLY. I think the first thing I'd do after that is to pull the orifice tube. If it's full of crap, and budget it tight...you're done. Screw the tubes back together to keep the dirt/humidity out in case you decide to fix it later, and enjoy the sauna.

If the orifice tube doesn't have a load of particles in it, and the system wasn't leaking, you're back to orifice tube, O-ring kit, dryer, compressor, and solvent-flush EVERYTHING else.

Yeah, if there's any question about remaining debris, a filter in the suction hose is worthwhile.

I know nothing about parallel-flow condensers.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just gonna walk for now. I already have a laundry list for this truck...

Thanks fellas for all of the input. I'll refer back to this when I actually fix it.