A question with a problem I'm having.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
Kinda a long story but I wanna make sure I get all the details so I can get the best advise and opinions. Ok so,

I bought a 1998 Silverado Z71 5.7L 4L60E. The guy I bought it from told me when I bought it that OD isn't working right. Well after a test drive, I felt like it was working fine but hey I wasn't going to tell him that. So I bought it drove it home and check the trans fluid level. nothing even on the dipstick so off the the autoparts store. I added 3 quarts of fluid and shifts fine. well after a few days of driving it I noticed that the speedo was way off, I'm talking 10-15 mph fast (so the speedo says 60 mph I'm actually doing 45mph) after talking to a good friend who works with the PO, He told me that the truck used to be on 35' but now is sitting on 31's. So my thought process is that when the speedo is saying 50 I'm actually doing 35-40 and since the VSS controls the converter lock up that it locks it up, but when the engine is to low in RPM and lugging it unlocks it. So essentially the PCM is getting conflicting info from both sensors causing this problem. I don't have this problem while its cold only at normal operating temp. So here's the question. I plan to do the 0411 PCM swap. Will this cure this problem?? Seeing how I can adjust the tire height is the PCM. I'm thinking that someone could have changed it in the current PCM seeing how the speedo is that far off. I also plan to upgrade the servos which really has nothing to do with my problem just throwing it out there. But any advise or opinions would be awesome. Am I on the right path??:cheers:

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
To clarify what its doing... when I take off like from a red light it takes off fine and shifts into second and third just fine then goes into fourth fine too then it locks the converter and unlocks it, locks back up and unlocks does this into you give it gas or let off completely and baby it. But once you get up past 60 on the speedo or over 45 actually not one problem. trans doesn't slip or anything. not in any gear. that the only problem the trans is having. feel free to ask my any questions if you don't understand what I trying to say.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have problems over 45( as read by computer not gauge) because the torque converter isn't supposed to lock under 45mph

Sent from somewhere in MN

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
If the speedo is under 45 no it wont lock up. but I only know the speedo is off by using GPS and several cars with people I know in their car while we both on the phone driving next to each other.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your speedo off consistently or does it get farther off the faster you go?

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure on that. finding spot to do 65-80 legally isn't easy lol

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure on that. finding spot to do 65-80 legally isn't easy lol

Freeway. But if its off consistently i would just pull the needle and place it at the correct speed. If not then you have to figure out your gears and if the po programmed the ECM for those gears.

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
Well I know it isn't as off at like say 35-40 compared to 55-60. I'm fairly certain it isn't the cluster or needle. Atleast I hope not I don't wanna deal with that .

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I know it isn't as off at like say 35-40 compared to 55-60. I'm fairly certain it isn't the cluster or needle. Atleast I hope not I don't wanna deal with that .

Then start checking rear gears and see if they are not stock ratio

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
I will check that but if that checks out, Is my idea sound like it could be right??