A/C Drain Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Hi, as my sig says I have a 1996 K1500 Suburban that has water trapped in the dash. I tried clearing the A/C Drain on the passenger side firewall and was hoping to have water gushing out of it. I pushed a pen through it and no dice.
You must be registered for see images attach

(not my picture, found it off the internet)

I recently discovered this other thread on the forum: http://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-mysterious-interior-rain-leak.15928/ . Great thread, except it doesn't mention how to get the water out of the dash. Does anyone know any other possible places that could be clogged and holding in the water?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the water is leaking onto the passenger side footwell. Thanks!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Is your windshield/cowl screen busted at all?

Is there actually water in the dash right now?

Curt

Reaction score
Is your windshield/cowl screen busted at all?

Is there actually water in the dash right now?
The windshield and cowl screen are perfectly fine. There is water in the dash right now and it is slowly dripping water onto the floor.

EDIT: I must add that it sounds like there is quite a bit of water in the dash. When I put the key into the ON position (car is idle) and crank the fans up, you can hear the water sloshing around, but it doesn't come through the vents. I can try to capture a video of it tomorrow if the rain stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curt

Reaction score
Also, as stupid as this might sounds, the water has been there for quite sometime (2+ years), I just learned to live with it until it began to drip.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are actually three drains on the engine side of the firewall. One on each side, a kind of sheet metal cover, with 7 mm screws holding them to the firewall. One is right by the overflow tank for the rad (right-hand side), the left one is left of the master cylinder. Take them off, and make sure they are clean inside.

The HVAC drain on my 98 C-1500 is like a small rubber pipe elbow on the firewall just below (I think) the heater hoses. I took the rubber elbow off, and some water ran out. I used things like flexible wire and small diameter plastic tubing to poke around in there and some more water ran out. I was expecting a bunch of soggy leaves or something to come out, but that did not happen.

Don't forget to take the plastic cowl covers off, clean everything out, then re-install with silicone on the screw threads.

Curt

Reaction score
There are actually three drains on the engine side of the firewall. One on each side, a kind of sheet metal cover, with 7 mm screws holding them to the firewall. One is right by the overflow tank for the rad (right-hand side), the left one is left of the master cylinder. Take them off, and make sure they are clean inside.

The HVAC drain on my 98 C-1500 is like a small rubber pipe elbow on the firewall just below (I think) the heater hoses. I took the rubber elbow off, and some water ran out. I used things like flexible wire and small diameter plastic tubing to poke around in there and some more water ran out. I was expecting a bunch of soggy leaves or something to come out, but that did not happen.

Don't forget to take the plastic cowl covers off, clean everything out, then re-install with silicone on the screw threads.
I tried clearing the HVAC drain with the rubber elbow and just like your drain, nothing happened. I'll be sure to check out the other drain next to the master cylinder. Also, I'll try to keep my eye out for the sheet metal one, never noticed it before.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will have to remove the blower motor and remove the water from there with a vacuum or a small pump or something. After you get it out follow the directions in the interior rain leak thread, that's what you need to do to get the leak stopped. It's not the A/C or the heater core if it's holding water at the blower motor.

Curt

Reaction score
You will have to remove the blower motor and remove the water from there with a vacuum or a small pump or something. After you get it out follow the directions in the interior rain leak thread, that's what you need to do to get the leak stopped. It's not the A/C or the heater core if it's holding water at the blower motor.
I think you're correct, I pulled back the plastic cover covering the blower motor and the metal is rusting. Definitely going to do the silicone around the screws as well.

Curt

Reaction score
I think you're correct, I pulled back the plastic cover covering the blower motor and the metal is rusting. Definitely going to do the silicone around the screws as well.

In case anyone needs the OE item number for the blower motor it is 88959521. I'd might as well replace mine while I'm at it, the old one rattles really bad when I turn the fans up high.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case anyone needs the OE item number for the blower motor it is 88959521. I'd might as well replace mine while I'm at it, the old one rattles really bad when I turn the fans up high.

I have a good used one if you'd be interested in it. I got it to have around as a spare when I had my 98. I tested it to make sure it worked an then put it up.