A/C Conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcrippledan

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone here has had their A/C switched to the R134A or whatever it is? Has anyone used those kits by EZCool? If so was it as easy as they suggest? Do you really just buy the kit, which as far as I can tell is supposed to be universal, hook it up and voila! Cold A/C again? Hope this is in the right spot it seemed to me like it would be as this is Interiors. Sorry and thanks!

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
To switch from R12 to R134A all you have to do is swap out the high pressure fitting (most autopart stores should have the proper fitting you need). It's a bigger size for the R134A systems so you can't hook anything up backwards. Then re-fill with the proper amount of R134A and you should be good to go.

Haven't heard of the EZCool kits so I won't be much help there. Do you have a link to what you're talking about?

catchfast33

Reaction score
Just make sure that when you do the swap that you pull a vacuum in the system. the vacuum in my opinion should be able to hold for around 20 minutes then just shoot the new r134a in there to the specified amount and you should be good to go. As far as the EZ Cool brand I haven't heard complaints from it but then again I have only heard from 2 people that did the swap using those ends. Good Luck to ya.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Just make sure that when you do the swap that you pull a vacuum in the system. the vacuum in my opinion should be able to hold for around 20 minutes then just shoot the new r134a in there to the specified amount and you should be good to go. As far as the EZ Cool brand I haven't heard complaints from it but then again I have only heard from 2 people that did the swap using those ends. Good Luck to ya.

I completely forgot to mention the vacuum draw! :banghead: Thanks for catching that. :cheers:

catchfast33

Reaction score
I completely forgot to mention the vacuum draw! :banghead: Thanks for catching that. :cheers:

No problem man just hope all goes well usually if the vacuum goes down that means there is a leak somewhere so better to find it with a vacuum then with newly bought freon in it.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys are kidding me, right?

Do NOT just swap out the HP fitting and shoot R-134a into that truck. You will DESTROY the A/C system. Mineral oil and PAG oil doesn't mix. It will eat that system alive when they meet.

Honestly man, just get yourself 2-3 cans of R-12 and shoot in there with the low pressure switch jumpered (if the compressor does not turn on).

To do it right, you need to swap out the high pressure switch, both the hi/lo side adapters, vacuum out the system, make sure there is NO oil left in the compressor, add the proper amount of oil, turn the compressor by hand a few times to circulate it, then add the R-134a. It takes 80% of the original R-12 charge. I would highly recommend replacing the Orifice Tube and Accumulator/Drier (the silver cylinder near the firewall) as well, it should be done whenever the system is opened.

R-134a will not cool as well as R-12 in these trucks. The condensors are smaller, and R-134a is less efficient. Less airflow, due to a smaller condensor leaks to it being even less efficient. My R-12 system regularly get down to the upper 20's when I'm driving, and around 35 at idle. That's damn cold. My old Sierra was converted, and despite it all being done right, I never saw less than 48-50* coming out of the vents. Looks good on paper, but when it's 90* outside, it just can't keep up.

Get yourself an R-12 can-to-low pressure port adapter, a few cans of R-12, and keep adding until you see about 40* at idle, if you don't have the manifold gauges. Then tighten the valve on the can, disconnect it from the low side, and enjoy the A/C. This is assuming you don't have a big leak somewhere. You need a license to buy R-12, but a lot of stores will sell it to you if you send them a message saying you are going to resell it to a licensed HVAC technician.