A/C Compressor or just Clutch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok last weekend I got the system charged with R-12. The PO removed the lines in order to change the Valve seals:uhoh2:. so the system has been empty for about 4 mo at least. No leaks everything was good the first 2 days then I noticed my truck starting to overheat. Before the charge it was running good, I pulled the belt off and spin the a/c pully and can hear a slight grind but not bad. Running with no a/c no whine, I turn it on and the Tensioner starts to bounce up and down?????? the vents dont blow real hard even on high???? I am at a loss do I replace the whole Compressor or just the clutch and pully bearing, and can I leave it charged if thats all I do??? Sorry for the novel I just need some other opinions this a/c stuff is new to me.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
well you are right, you will not loose the freon to change the clutch and bearing. Get-R-Done. and if your tensioner is bouncing like crazy the belt is not doing it job because it is loose 90% of the time then the water pump WILL not work and the alternator becomes a chunk of aluminum.