99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The L29 454 heads have a lot of sharp ridges that would lead to detonation, especially with any carbon buildup. Go back to the first couple pages of this thread and see how I laid back the chambers and polished everything. It will be very resistant to preignition. So even with 87 octane, it should be happy with 34 deg at wot, and 30-40 at part throttle cruise. I'm not sure why BB would be unwilling to adjust it for me.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The L29 454 heads have a lot of sharp ridges that would lead to detonation, especially with any carbon buildup. Go back to the first couple pages of this thread and see how I laid back the chambers and polished everything. It will be very resistant to preignition. So even with 87 octane, it should be happy with 34 deg at wot, and 30-40 at part throttle cruise. I'm not sure why BB would be unwilling to adjust it for me.

Did you pony up for the Autocal so they can receive datalogs? Or did you just send in your PCM?

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I paid the deposit for the efi live data logger and put the software on my laptop. It's pretty cool. Is HP similar?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I paid the deposit for the efi live data logger and put the software on my laptop. It's pretty cool. Is HP similar?

Not sure. But now I wonder if I couldn't give you a hand with what you're after? As long as software versions don't bite us in the ass. My software is a couple years old at this point, can't update further because my tuning laptop is ancient and rocks Vista.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm getting some paint work done on the truck next week, then I'm going to send the ecm to BB for adjustments. I'm going to ask for softer shifts at 30% throttle, less rev-up on cold starts, and +2 deg timing across the board.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm getting some paint work done on the truck next week, then I'm going to send the ecm to BB for adjustments. I'm going to ask for softer shifts at 30% throttle, less rev-up on cold starts, and +2 deg timing across the board.

If you have the Autocal, why are you sending in the PCM?

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My experience with BB is that after 1 or 2 send backs for adjustments, they seem to quit really adjusting stuff and just send it back to you without telling you much. If you can get somebody like supercharged to help, that will probably get you THERE sooner.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My experience with BB is that after 1 or 2 send backs for adjustments, they seem to quit really adjusting stuff and just send it back to you without telling you much. If you can get somebody like supercharged to help, that will probably get you THERE sooner.

From what I have seen, I would not let BB or nearly anyone else tune my lawnmower. There is a reason I learned to tune 2 decades ago. If I were unable to tune my GM vehicle, Charlie Wheatley is about one of the only tuners I would let touch the thing and it would be an in person tune. The other would be Tom Butcher aka Haulin@$$. Tom and I setup the first tune on my 97 as well as the 0411 that eventually went into it.

Last edited:

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have the knowhow to even know if I have the software needed to make adjustments and reload it. I think it can just make data logs.

I'm paying an extra $50 for the log analysis and 'upgraded' tune adjustment. If they don't come through I will definitely hit you guys up. But then I probably should probably buy myself the HP setup anyway.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made a couple data logs today while towing my 3.500lb trailer empty. There is a long, steep hill on I17 north of Phoenix that is the ultimate dyno. The old engine could run up it at 65 pretty easily with the empty trailer, but with not much left in reserve. Today I could blast up as fast as I wanted with a ton of power to accelerate. I was trying to watch the 'dashboard' on the laptop and the most I saw on the injector duty cycle was about 40%. Does that mean my 36lb injectors are too big?