99 454 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99CCSBD

Reaction score
Hey gang

Need some help from you truck nuts!

I have a 99 454 crew shorty it’s in need of some head gaskets

Never tore into a 454 before so just trying to get an idea of what I’m getting into (have done lots of other vehicles before just not 454)

Trucks also has a “hot start” problem so while it’s open I’m going to change injectors to 4 hole design,

What else should I look at while I’m in there? I like to do things once if possible

So far I can think of is

Head bolts
Head gaskets
Injectors
Intake gasket/plenum gasket
Exhaust manifold gaskets (might look for headers have to unbolt them anyways lol)
I’m sure I’m missing something,

Thanks for your help
Pic of the truck for your enjoyment
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Check your fuel pressure, for the hot start. I put up with the hot start for way too long, thinking it was the injectors. Eventually the fuel pump started acting up and I replaced it. No more hard starts after that.

What happened to the head gaskets?

99CCSBD

Reaction score
Check your fuel pressure, for the hot start. I put up with the hot start for way too long, thinking it was the injectors. Eventually the fuel pump started acting up and I replaced it. No more hard starts after that.

What happened to the head gaskets?
Oh ok I’ll check that out!

Can hear it “bubbling” after I turn truck off and she’s ate some coolant.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Oh ok I’ll check that out!

Can hear it “bubbling” after I turn truck off and she’s ate some coolant.

Do some trouble shooting first. I thought mine were bad years ago and a local mechanic didnt think the symptoms added up to head gaskets and convinced me to look at the radiator....it was a plugged radiator.

Later, when I worked for a local company I went to him with a company vehicle since he saved me lots if money on my truck.

99CCSBD

Reaction score
Do some trouble shooting first. I thought mine were bad years ago and a local mechanic didnt think the symptoms added up to head gaskets and convinced me to look at the radiator....it was a plugged radiator.

Later, when I worked for a local company I went to him with a company vehicle since he saved me lots if money on my truck.
Actually funny you say this I just got off the phone with a buddy he said he doesn’t think it’s gaskets either. So I’ll do some digging first. Thanks for the heads up!

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New radiator cap? It fixed my 99 454 gurgling for good, finally, after years of worrying that my heads finally needed to come off. No hot start issue though.

Fuel pressure regulator needs to be on that list if you're going in.