98 yukon rear barn door leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 GMC yukon 4 door with rear barn doors. I have found the rear carpet towards the rear barn doors soaked after driving in the rain and even after it has been sitting in the rain. Today I pulled out the rear carpet and the side panels to try to track down the leak. I have found water accumulating towards both sides on the bottom of the floor right at the weather stripping that goes all the way around the rear door opening. It also looks like water is coming in on the passenger side of the body right in the rear of the body where the body comes together. For water to be doing that it would have to travel inside the body then come back in right there. It looks like there is some kind of foam inside the body right there but no drain or anything. Under the truck it does not look like there is anything either. I am at a loss for where this leak is coming from. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I may end up taking it to a body shop or auto shop to try to find the leak.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I had a rear leak when I first picked up the truck that I solved by simply thoroughly cleaning out the seals around and especially above the barn doors. This is probably not your issue, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya that was what i did at first. It is just weird that it comes in down at the bottom of the weather stripping and also in the very back left corner of the truck. If i didnt live somewhere that got so much rain i wouldnt care about it so much.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have this issue occasionally, but only a couple drops when I drive through a pressurized car wash. I had a body shop adjust my barn doors so they close a little tighter and that solved most of it. They told me that a new set of door seals would most likely eliminate it entirely. I've already bought the new weatherstripping, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

EDIT - I'd also make sure you check your luggage rack mounting bolts, 3rd brake light, etc. Anything up on the roof back there that could be causing issues. IIRC there was another common issue involving the rear pillars filling with water somehow... There used to be a thread on here about it but I'm having trouble finding it right now, will update if I do run across it.

Last edited:

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I double checked everything with the 3rd brake light and roof rack. I dont think there is any sort of leak coming from there. I may try some dealerships with body shops and see if they are willing to help me with this issue. i am just fed up with it. I have done most of the hard part anyways tearing apart the interior and everything. Anyone have any recommendations for a reputable body shop in Vancouver, WA??