98' Suburban - aka Red

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TehMater

Reaction score
So, AK49BWL said I should start a thread. so I shall :D

so far, throttle body blade - spacer whachamajiggy on it has been removed. i need to rivet the holes closed... Had a spare one that was given with the truck!
You must be registered for see images attach

It's been cleaned since, obviously. :p

plans for the future -

AD-244 swap, big 3 upgrade.

blue LED's in the instrument cluster, and LED bulbs all around. (AK49BWL got me hooked on this.)

I already have an aftermarket head unit, but it's getting replaced because it was NOT put in well.

alpine 143-BT head unit, because it has bluetooth as well as USB.

subwoofers - two alpine type R 15's, powered by two alpine PDXM12 amps.

speakers - this is where it gets entertaining, because I'm not having much luck finding 4x10's that i like. the tweeters are going to stay stock - because they work well. door speakers are possibly getting swapped with kickers.

tires - anyone know a decent brand that won't break the bank?

paint - possible clearcoat repair. who knows?

so far, that's what I can think of!

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
tires - anyone know a decent brand that won't break the bank?

Look into Kanati tires. I got a set of Trail Hog 285/60r20 for $900 and they have been great so far, have had them since February. If you are staying around stock sized - 265s, it looks they it's around $630 for a set.

TehMater

Reaction score
Look into Kanati tires. I got a set of Trail Hog 285/60r20 for $900 and they have been great so far, have had them since February. If you are staying around stock sized - 265s, it looks they it's around $630 for a set.
Thanks for the info! Right now both rears are pretty much new, but the fronts are quite bald.

Used a headlight restoration kit today, decent outcome. Pics will come in a bit, currently on my phone... other than that, all I need is a TCC lockup solenoid and I'm golden

TehMater

Reaction score
Before...

And after!

Also got done cleaning the throttle body. that evil diffuser is no longer there!

Eaugh, that's nasty.

Next up (which i have to save up for - if I can stop spending money at harbor freight on stuff i really don't need. *cough* headlight restoration kit *cough* is AD-244, big 3 upgrade, and replacement of the alt bracket, previous owner was a bit ham-****** in his attempts to replace the alt, it seems.

new alt bracket - came with the truck. so i got that goin' for me, I guess.

planning on getting some stuff to de-gunk the bracket, it's nasty.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Looks great! One of the best things I did when I first got my Suburban was clear those hazy ass lights,
As for tires, I got into a set of Cooper Discoverer ATPs in a 265/75r16 for $632 out the door, this was after some haggling though, but I have not been disappointed with these tires at all. Next truck I get will certainly be running Coopers,

And for cleaning the Alt Bracket, Goof-off, a rag, and a little bit of elbow grease worked amazingly for cleaning off oily, nasty components on my engine.

TehMater

Reaction score
As for tires, I got into a set of Cooper Discoverer ATPs in a 265/75r16 for $632 out the door, this was after some haggling though, but I have not been disappointed with these tires at all. Next truck I get will certainly be running Coopers,

pep boys near me is actually running a special on Cooper Adventure A/T's... $98.94 a tire! might see if i can save up enough before they go off sale...

TehMater

Reaction score
Thought i'd post again before bed.

As far as interior goes - it's pretty clean. dash only has two small cracks in it.

You can sort of see here that my visors are in awful condition, and the headliner is starting to drop a little up near the windshield.

Pretty clean, other than that.

Here, you can see how warped the visors are.

And I need replacement pedal rubber.

Even with some of the stuff that's wrong with it - it's a huge step up from the 98 expedition I traded for it! I'd rather have red any day!

A few things I discovered today - passenger side locks don't lock when I press the lock button. Interior lights don't come on when the rear doors are opened, and my fan rattles (maybe something in it?) when it's on high speed. there might be a blend door stuck somewhere, not getting much velocity through the vents.

GMCBUS

Reaction score
TehMater, my old suburban had a noisy fan on the high speeds almost a squeal/rattling sound I changed the fan and blower motor resistor when I was in there... Not to bad maybe 30 minutes and $50 in parts and nice quiet fan. The lock issue may be a bad door lock actuator, I've lost one and had only the drivers door lock when you hit the switch.