98 Shortbox / 454 & TH400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why on Earth would you take out the wonderful clamshell-design engine mounts and shove in "solid" mounts?

The whole point of "solid" mounts was that the older, non-clamshell mounts would separate from age or hard use, and the engine would lift under torque. Clamshells don't do that. There's ZERO need for "solid" mounts.

The O-N-L-Y problem with clamshells is not the design, but the ****** aftermarket replacement parts. Thin steel shells, made in China. "Good" original GM mounts are excellent.
I drilled the rivets holding my stock shells together and replaced the stock inserts with polyurethane inserts. Wire brush and some paint to make the shells look like new.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drilled the rivets holding my stock shells together and replaced the stock inserts with polyurethane inserts. Wire brush and some paint to make the shells look like new.
I tried that. The Energy Suspension Polyurethane cushions looked so different from the original cushions that I sent 'em back.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach