Gen IV 454 in '98 K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 k2500. It currently has factory NV4500/5.7 350. I have just recently purchased an older model 454. I'm getting my parts list together for the engine swap. I am wondering what flywheel and clutch do I shop for? for the engine year or for the trans year? Or some wort of a combo?

Thanks in advance.

D

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flywheel will depend on engine balance.

The Mark IV 454 had an offset weight on the flywheel/flexplate. I do not know how much weight, or where it's positioned.

The Gen 5/6 454s also have offset weight on the flywheel/flexplate, and forged-crank engines have different weight than the cast-crank engines. I do not know if either one is the same weight/position as a Mark IV.

It's unlikely that your engine is internally-balanced via an aftermarket balance shop, requiring a neutral-balanced flywheel. So you "probably" need a Mark IV 454 flywheel, but maybe not if the one you have is balanced the same as a Mark IV.

The clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing would be whatever fits the transmission and the truck's clutch release system.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's easy enough. I've always ordered a kit that was vehicle specific(everything included). The two different years was a new one for me.