98 chev 1500. Door panel button locks turn on my interior lights???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillpickle505

Reaction score
I just bought my 98 chev 1500 4x4, it is installed with keyless entry and used to have remote start, used to because whoever owned it before removed it but just cut wires and left the ends untaped.

So the other day i unlocked the doors with my fob, got in and smelled melting plastic so i opened the fuse box on the side of the dash, felt to see if any fuses were hot and breaker A, the silver 20a in the top left corner was so hot i couldnt hold it for longer than 3 seconds or i would have burnt my fingers! i eventually got it out and tested tried to lock and unlock the doors with both inside buttons and my fob and nothing. infact when i press the inside lock buttons on both the driver side and passenger side the interior lights come on and i can hear a clicking under my steering wheel. when i press unlock the lights dont come on but when i let go they flash for a second and turn back off. my fob does nothing, no clicking inside either.

Any ideas what it could be? im thinking of cuting the already cut wires shorter and putting merrets on them and taping them incase anything is shorting or grounding. i replaced the door jam switch and it did nothing.

Also when i put the breaker in after it cools the locks work again for 5 seconds until the breaker gets hot.

Does it sound like a short somewhere? and has anyone ever had this problem? my mechanic was so confused when he saw it :nono:

dillpickle505

Reaction score
Well looks like i fixed it... no thanks to this forum. cut the excess wires shorter and taped up the bare wire as much as i could. Threw in the breaker again and it doesn't over heat and my locks work now. THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE