98 5.7 vortec performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've gotten the hunger for some more power. Not so much horsepower, but low and midrange torque. I'm not really looking to dump more than $1500. Can anyone give me advice? My motor has 160000 miles on it. I'm thinking a mild can or maybe remanufactured heads. Can anyone give me links? Thanks.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Send your computer out to performance for a tune. Woke my truck up nicely

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Send your computer out to performance for a tune. Woke my truck up nicely

Honestly, best $250 you'll ever spend. I had my V6 tuned at BBP and it made a bigger difference than anything else I'd done to it. You'll most likely gain a couple MPG as well.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could I get a link to the tuninh company you are referring to

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Black Bear Performance is the one that was talked about. I have no experience with them...

http://www.performance.com/

If you have that much to spend, I would suggest a good set of long tube headers and dual 2.5" exhaust, that alone should net you close to 50 foot pounds more torque below 2500, and a tune will surely help out.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just google Black Bear Performance, for some reason you can't link to them on this forum. I have no idea why that happens.

It's Black Bear Performance dot com

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, and my truck is already straight piped with 2.5" pipes

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
For starters, put some mufflers back on it. Then check compression. If compression is good on all 8, pull the heads and have them re done. Have them built with screw in studs and throw a gm performance Lt4 hot cam in it. Do not have any work done to the combustion chambers, or any oversized valves. You will not gain any power 9/10 from that. These heads are already good enough. Match that work a good set of headers, mpfi upgrade and a tune.