97 suburban, 1 piece 4l60e shot. Rebuild? New tranny? New to truck world.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akashyap

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New here. Just picked up my first truck. A 97 c1500 GMC Suburban. 136K miles 2nd owner.
Engine runs strong but the tranny has issues left and right.

Symptoms

1. no 3 and 4 gear. Sometimes I'll get 3 if I rev it up to around 4k in second and let off the gas. But 4 is totally gone.

2. Apply more than minimal throttle from 0 mph and the truck will try to shift to 2nd and stall out. It seems to fail to shift. If I apply very low throttle it will shift.

Been doing some research, looks like fried 3/4 clutch pack at the least so a rebuild is a minimum?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I was thinking about buying a replacement tranny but after some research and reading so many horror stories from people who ordered from mad dog trannies and monster transmissions not sure that is a good idea anymore.

New to the truck world so I really don't know of any good rebuilders in Austin.

What do you guys suggest I do to get my truck back on the road?

Trying to keep the cost down but also dont want a fix that won't last a while.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd ask around and find a well reputed local builder. That's the route I went with my red truck and it worked out great.

If you want any upgraded internals, shoot @rhino a message. He helped me pick a bunch of parts, then got me a better price on them than I could find anywhere else.

akashyap

Reaction score
I'd ask around and find a well reputed local builder. That's the route I went with my red truck and it worked out great.

If you want any upgraded internals, shoot @rhino a message. He helped me pick a bunch of parts, then got me a better price on them than I could find anywhere else.

Currently shopping around for a rebuilder but almost everyone I come across has terribles reviews online. Everyone else is just your average transmission shop.

How much did it run you for your rebuild?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Currently shopping around for a rebuilder but almost everyone I come across has terribles reviews online. Everyone else is just your average transmission shop.

How much did it run you for your rebuild?

My 4L60E rebuild was around $2600 including removal and reinstallation, but I basically asked my builder to go wild with it. Lots of upgrades.

If you have any race tracks around I'd make a trip there one day and ask around. See who the guys who really beat on them are using. Also keep in mind that online reviews aren't everything. People are much more likely to leave negative reviews than positive ones.