97' SCSB 2WD resto-mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ninjakris

Reaction score
Its been a while, but I have a few updates on the "Old Blue" as I'm calling it now.

Starting with finishing up a few projects I had ready to go: First the mirror, I wired everything up following instructions I found here on the forum. I ran most of the wiring through existing looms in the engine bay, so unless you really knew what you were looking for, it looks stock. As for switched power, I cheated a little bit and used a "add a fuse" from the fuse panel on the left side of the dash. Its pulling so little power, Im sure its going to be fine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Next was on to the exhaust. Everything bolted up perfect, but the clamps aren't the greatest. I have welder on order and plan on giving a tack weld on each of the slip connections. As for sound, it sounds perfect. It has that V-8 sound without being annoying or having drone.

Next was on to the handling department. I picked up new Moog inner/outer tie rods, adjustment sleeves, pitman arm, Idler Arm bracket and Idler arm. Also on there is new sway bar bushings and end links. To finish it off, I picked up a steering shaft piece that a guy online sells. It gets rid of the rag joint. I have new UCA's and LCA's sitting in a box waiting to be installed, but I'm going to do that as the same time as the lowering kit. I don't see the point in doing all that work twice.

Moving on to the looks department, I put on a new smooth front bumper, lower fascia, grill, and grill filler piece. All the old stuff was broke, or fake chrome falling off. Plus the front bumper had the rubber strip on it, and it had to go. Everything will eventually get painted body color minus the center of the grill. Side note, I hit up the front bumper brackets with some POR 15 since it was 23 years old and starting to rust.

The roll pan was next. I picked it up from Amazon (like most of my other purchases). The condition was actually really good considering the price tag. The ad claims you can have it as a bolt on, but I just don't see how it could be done without flopping all over the place. So I drove over to a buddies place and he welded it up for me. It wasn't pretty, but nothing a grinder and body filler couldn't take care of. I'm no body man by a long shot, but overall it turned out really good.

and last mod for the time being was new wheels. I went back and forth if I should get them now or not, but a shop in Atlanta sells the full wheel/tire combo with lug nuts for $1490. Riddler 20" staggered. I'm sure I could have priced them piece by piece and saved a few bucks, but the price seemed reasonable to me, especially since I could drive up there, pick them up, and install on the truck in the same day. Tire sizes are 245/45/20 and 275/40/20. The other reason for getting the wheels now is I plan on doing a 4/6 drop and it will probably require some fender rolling. I want to have the wheels now so I can reference how much rolling I'll need to do. The truck looks silly right now, but the lowering kit is coming one of these days. I have to let the bank account catch up after the last round of mods.

I'm moving to a different state in a few months and more than likely picking up a fixer upper house, so the truck updates might slow down even more, but all I really have left is lowering kit and paint. It slowly getting there.