97' SCSB 2WD resto-mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ninjakris

Reaction score
I've gained a ton of knowledge on this forum, so I figured I'd start a build thread.

I picked up this RUST FREE 1997 SCSB around April of 2017. I've always had a soft spot for the single cab trucks and wanted to get my feet wet with on a semi-restoration project that wouldn't break the bank. I paid $3500 for the truck. It has right at 152K miles on it. From 1999-2017, it belonged to the same owner. That makes me the 3rd owner. Clean title. No accident history. The biggest reason for picking this truck, it was 100% original. No modifications at all other than a stupid set of wheels. From intake to exhaust, nothing has been messed with. The blue is a one-year only color, which I found out later on. Its the Silverado package and has power windows/locks. Powertrain is a 5.7 with an auto transmission. I have been looking off and on for a couple years and rarely ever see a 96-98 loaded single cab with the large V8 for sale. I wanted the 96-98 for the upgraded dash. 95 has a 1-year only transmission which scared me, hence 96-98. I'm doing most of the work myself if at all possible. I am fairly mechanically inclined even though I sit at a desk for a day job (active duty Air Force).

The plans for the truck are to create a stock'ish looking truck that has everything refreshed that needs to be. The engine purrs and shifts fine, so for now, I'm leaving the drive train alone.

Suspension: She will get a 2/4 drop with a nice set of 20s eventually. All new UCA/LCA, steering parts, ball joints.. basically new everything. Already picked up a steering rag joint eliminator.

Paint and body: The two tone will go away and the truck will be completely OEM blue. New front/rear bumpers and grill will be blue. I stripped the factor rubber strips along the body as well as the Chevrolet panel on the tailgate. I also ditched the chrome wheel arches, bug protector, and tailgate cap.

Interior: New carpet, headliner/visors, door panels, restore/replace any buttons that show wear, new speakers, sound deaden everything, new door gaskets. All plastic trim has a fresh coat of paint.

This is the day I got her home.
You must be registered for see images attach

Other than a crack in the dash, the interior was complete and everything worked like it should. There is a thick layer of dirt and grime, but it's 20 years old and to be expected.

I've put some epoxy to stop further damage and put a dash pad on it, but here is the crack mentioned above.

Here is the before and after door panels. New interior door handles since the passenger side was starting to stick a little from being warped. I already had the panels off anyways, so it was easy to knock out. The upper part is a velvet technically, but it feels like suede. Lower is a darker than OEM grey. Its a little more fuzzy than I like and might change it down the road, but its on there for the time being.

The next few is the progression on the interior. I did everything myself other than the door panels and headliner. I learned that putting carpet in can be a pain in the ass. I also learned that the plastic trim piece with the dome light has hidden screws. I broke that thing. Thankfully someone was parting out a similar truck local. The replacement piece was the wrong color, but a little SEM medium Grey got it looking as good as new.

I replaced the door pins and gave the door some love with a jack and 2x4's to put it back in its rightful place in the world. It was a little nerve racking putting that much pressure on the door to bend it back in place, but I took my time and over several attempts, got it where it needed to be.

I couldn't handle the late 90's wide wheels that came on the truck, so I sold them and picked up a set of OEM wheels. Tires are basically shot, but they are good enough for a drive around the block once every few months.

ninjakris

Reaction score
I had a chirp when driving, so a little love on the accessories cleaned it up. I'm not sure if it was the belt or pulleys that were causing the chirp, but parts are so cheap, I just replaced it all.

Here is at it sits now. I have driven it maybe 20 miles since purchasing it. I'm sure one of these days I'll get it out on the road more, but I have a couple other cars to drive and the truck was purchased as something to tinker on in the garage when I have time anyways.

And since this is a car/truck page, here's my other car passion. I love dodge vipers. I've had 3 of them, with the latest an current being a 2014 that makes ~600whp. The red 06' had a blower and made 700whp, and the black 03' was basically stock with around 400whp.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I'll continue to add to the thread as I progress on the build. I'll probably be messing with this thing for at least another year or two. My day job has me traveling a lot and when I am home, family takes priority.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice truck! I’m a big fan of the deluxe two tone paint. I actually like the wider wheels but I understand why you wouldn’t want them.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool! That truck is going to be great. Love the Vipers also.

ninjakris

Reaction score
Here's a little update. I gave the high mount cab light / 3rd brake light some love. I used headlight restoration kit on it. It didn't turn out perfect, but still much better than stock. Unfortunately the board behind it doesn't work even after cleaning it up, so I'll be on the lookout for replacement. OEM is about $120 and includes the rubber gasket that pushes against the cab. I don't care for the LED aftermarket options, plus most of them have horrible reviews.

Next up was body work. I still plan on having a shop do the spraying, but I'm attempting to knock out most of the prep work myself. Thanks to youtube, I have a semi decent idea of what I'm doing. The bed and drivers side are basically ready for paint. Tailgate was the latest adventure. I also cleaned up and gave the tailgate hardware a fresh coat of paint. Additionally, I painted the tailgate handle body color to see how I like it. I'm not sure yet. I'll have to see how it looks once the rest of the truck is painted. If I don't like it, no big deal, I'll just replace the handle with a new one, they are cheap.

I also picked up a full flow master exhaust system minus the headers. Pretty excited about that. A friend gave me a 50% off coupon he won at a charity auction, so I pulled the trigger. It won't be installed for a while, but eventually it will sound good.

While at the local junk yard, I scored a temp/direction display dimming mirror and temp sensor for $30. I'll get it installed one of these days.

ninjakris

Reaction score
I recently replaced the ignition key cylinder since the plastic piece was broke when I got the truck and no amount of super glue would put it back on. I went ahead and ordered a new ignition cylinder and 2 door cylinders, that way I'll only have one set of keys when its all sad and done. Since I was already going to be pulling the steering wheel, I replaced the multi-function switch with a new one. The old switch was worn down pretty good. This was my first time pulling the steering wheel. That was interesting. But A1Auto has a great youtube video on it. I followed it and everything worked out perfect.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm super jelous...viper is my absolute dream car. Love your truck to. Here's my restomod. Got it 3 years ago and got busy right away. 5.3 swap, lowered, wheels and paint

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

ninjakris

Reaction score
your truck looks awesome. Its just about exactly what I'm going for. How lowered is that, and what is the wheel/tire combo? It looks like 20's but hard to say for sure.
I'm super jelous...viper is my absolute dream car. Love your truck to. Here's my restomod. Got it 3 years ago and got busy right away. 5.3 swap, lowered, wheels and paint

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your truck looks awesome. Its just about exactly what I'm going for. How lowered is that, and what is the wheel/tire combo? It looks like 20's but hard to say for sure.
Yup 20s. They are boss 338 wheels. The drop is a DJM 4/6. Was a fun build...i did all the body work myself then turned it over to a painter friend to make it pretty.

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6