97 pontiac problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
alright so i know this aint a 400 but last saturday i swapped motors in a 97 boneville for my sister in law because the old one threw a rod through the block right into the starter. the new motor is from a 2002 grand prix, pulled the accesorys, oil pan, and injectors and threw them on the new motor so everything would plug in. long story short it wont start, just sits and clicks. i heard the new motor run prior to putting it in so i know its not locked up or anything. the starter tested good at autozone, and i pulled one of the batterys out of my truck so i know thats good. i have also tried 2 different starters just to be sure. everything is fine and normal until i go to crank it and then its almost like it drians the battery instantly. so i dont know if i have a power wire grouned somewhere or im missing a ground somewhere. any help is appriciated

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Well i finally figured it out last night after work. I had installed a ground wire from the battery to the starter, i pulled it off and grounded the battery to the block and now it starts. I dont understand it but hey it works.