97 k1500 with daytime running headlights major problem with HID lowbeams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano5405

Reaction score
hello im new to this forum and in need of some help with everything ive read you guys all seem to know the most ,,i put those hid headlight bulbs in my truck,,or should i say ipaid a local stero shop to do so.....and every since ive had problems with lights..now my high beams will work but no low beams which are the hids and i do have DRL..AND I SEE ON HERE YALL TALK ABOUT HEAVEY DUTIE HARNESS.PLUS I SSE THAT ONE GUY SAYS YOU NEED TO WIRE SO THAT ALL THE POWER DOES NOT GO THRU YOUR HEADLIGHT SWITCH..BECAUSE THATS WHAT BURNS IT OUT BUT I GUESS YOU NEED TRANSFORMER AND STUFF IM NOT SURE ABOUT..COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME ..MAYBE TELL ME HOW TO GET THIS FIXED WHERE TO BUY HARNESS AND OR EV THING I NEED TO CORRECT MY EMAIL IS [email protected] OR I GUESS YOU CAN REPLIE TO THIS RANT IHOPE I DID NOT BREAK ANYRULES JUST LOOKING FOR HELP THANK YOU ....

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to GMT400! I would say with 99% certainty that the reason your low beams are not working is because of the DRL feature itself. You see the DRL's work by running the low beams at 60% power, and HID's require a large amount of power to ignite initially. And when the DRL's automatically turn on, the HID's only see ~9 volts which isn't nearly enough power to properly ignite them. A HD Headlight harness will most likely cure all the problems your having with your HID's!

With a Heavy Duty Headlight Harness installed, you can still retain use of the DRL feature; but it will provide your low beams with 100% clean power even when the DRL's are on and all while providing your low and high beams with the full 13.8Volts+ whenever they are on which they NEED to operate properly! The HD headlight Harness will draw power directly from the battery, and also will give you the 4-High feature which is a MUST have for anyone with HID lights, with the 4-High feature you never have a seccond where there is little to know light on the road. You see HID's have a 3-8 seccond warm up time, and during the period they emit very little light. The 4-High takes care of that problem by keeping your low beams on when you switch to high beams, all while providing you with even more light with your high beams! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and one of us will be more then happy to help!!

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to GMT400! I would say with 99% certainty that the reason your low beams are not working is because of the DRL feature itself. You see the DRL's work by running the low beams at 60% power...

I hate to disagree because I know that you know your lighting Baron, but I'm not sure where you got that info?? My DRL's run at 100% power and are just as bright as my regular low-beams...just some food for thought

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate to disagree because I know that you know your lighting Baron, but I'm not sure where you got that info?? My DRL's run at 100% power and are just as bright as my regular low-beams...just some food for thought

That's because you have one of my HD Headlight Harness's Installed Ben! :cheers: On a FACTORY Headlight set up, the DRL's run at 60%. But when you have one of my HD Headlight Harness's installed, the DRL's run at 100% full power!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
DRL's are just bad for HID's period. The number of times you ignite HID's greatly affects their lifespan. Pull the fuse for the DRL's.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
hello im new to this forum and in need of some help with everything ive read you guys all seem to know the most ,,i put those hid headlight bulbs in my truck,,or should i say ipaid a local stero shop to do so.....and every since ive had problems with lights..now my high beams will work but no low beams which are the hids and i do have DRL..AND I SEE ON HERE YALL TALK ABOUT HEAVEY DUTIE HARNESS.PLUS I SSE THAT ONE GUY SAYS YOU NEED TO WIRE SO THAT ALL THE POWER DOES NOT GO THRU YOUR HEADLIGHT SWITCH..BECAUSE THATS WHAT BURNS IT OUT BUT I GUESS YOU NEED TRANSFORMER AND STUFF IM NOT SURE ABOUT..COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME ..MAYBE TELL ME HOW TO GET THIS FIXED WHERE TO BUY HARNESS AND OR EV THING I NEED TO CORRECT MY EMAIL IS [email protected] OR I GUESS YOU CAN REPLIE TO THIS RANT IHOPE I DID NOT BREAK ANYRULES JUST LOOKING FOR HELP THANK YOU ....

Yelling isn't going to get you anywhere on any forum. Just letting you know.

I'd start by removing the Daylight running lamp fuse on the drivers side of the dashboard.

You probably need new HIDs now. Don't bother paying a shop to it, Its no harder to change a bulb than it is to install HIDs.

dano5405

Reaction score
wow thanks the darn stero shop that been doing this kinda stuff for 16 yrs could not figure this out ..thanks for your help can you send me info on how i can get this harness i think i seen in other ad that maybe your the one that sells them can you please let me have info on how i can buy one i need it bad...

dano5405

Reaction score
wow lots of great info thanks,,,one question left who is yelling??????and what do you mean or is that some kinda joke ????help me here i dont understand that comment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Caps lock is considered yelling.

Mean Green sells the harnesses. You might not need it, pull the DRL fuse and see what happens. Sounds like the hid ballasts might be toast though.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caps lock is considered yelling.

Mean Green sells the harnesses. You might not need it, pull the DRL fuse and see what happens. Sounds like the hid ballasts might be toast though.

I'm guessing he hit the caps lock to put "DRL" and never took it off. Honest mistake especially if you don't look at the screen while you type, I myself have done that before.