96k3500 454 Whipple Supercharger build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubwise

Reaction score
How much boost is the whipple putting out?

...and lets see some vids! :)

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, that Tahoe is SICK.

Whipple is supposed to be good for 6#. I won't know until I get my gauge in there.

I found some more information about the high intake air temps. This Whipple has a bypass valve that is driven by a vacuum diaphragm. Under hard acceleration, the boost pushes the bypass closed so all charged air gets into the throttle body. Under light acceleration, cruise or idle the vacuum sucks the diaphragm in which opens the bypass valve. This way uncharged air passes directly to the throttle body. This is how Whipple got a CARB Eo# smog approval; the supercharger only works under heavy acceleration or WOT. The bypass valve was damaged when I got the charger. So, I manually closed the bypass with some zip ties. This led to higher temps because it was forcing air into the throttle body under cruise where boost isn't even needed. With the bypass working properly, the engine would have its regular IATs (20-30 above ambient) and only get a little warmer when I mash the pedal hard. Since the time under heavy boost is minimum, the temps never get a chance to creep up.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got my gauges in. Now I have EGT, boost, trans temp, AFR in RH bank, AFR in LH bank, and all digital gauges from Innovate OT-1 (OBD2 stuff).

It looks like under WOT that I am getting about 5# of boost but I am not sure that I am plugged into the IM at the right place; When I am under 1/2 or 3/4 throttle I can hear/feel the charger giving me power and the gauge is still showing 0 boost. I am going to have to move the gauge from the IM to the supercharger I think. EGT's are around 850F or so.

I was able to get a cold air inlet into my cold air intake. I got intake air temps down about 20 degrees or so. My IATs are now 160-190.

Truck is running SOOO good. There isn't a downside here yet.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys, here is some media... I am one high tech redneck boys.

AFR gauges for LH and RH banks. WB02 sensors are Bosch units just behind the headers that are monitored by Innovate Motorsports LC-1 units. As you can see, I have a good AFR. The Wester's tune looks spot on. I am not super happy with the way the gauges are mounted; it isn't very clean. I will revisit later.

You must be registered for see images

Gauge pillar with Boost, EGT and trans temp. All wired up and working good.

Datalogging computer with virtual gauges; here I monitor and record data from WB02, EGT, Boost, and OBD-II via OT-1 unit.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason you're not seeing any boost gauge movement at part throttle is b/c you can't see the vaccum that it's making up for. So even though the supercharger is making boost if it's not enough to over come all the vacuum of the engine then the needle won't move at all. You need a gauge that reads boost and Vacuum. Like one where 0 is in the middle, like this...

btw: That thing sounds wicked. Very nice setup with the dual WB, that must of cost a pretty penny or two.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It wasn't cheap you are right. I have a few nickels into the data logging setup. Thanks, I love the way it sounds.

I put on one of the vacuum/boost gauges like you recommended. I think you are right, it is good to see what the vacuum is doing too.