96 Z71 305 with engine shudder at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I let the truck idle for more than a few minutes, I get a shudder every few minutes. At first I thought it coincided with the compressor turning on and off, but noticed it today even with AC off completely. The RPM kind of bob a tiny bit, but I don't really lose a bunch of RPM. It just kind of sounds like it's going to die, but just for a second. Never dies or stalls or anything, just annoying.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ses light on?

When was the last tune up?

When did you last change the fuel filter?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably losing a cylinder at idle, how do your plugs look? Maybe one a little darker than the others?
How long since a tuneup?
Or did you just do a tuneup right before this started?

I would start with easy free stuff, pull all your plugs and check under your dist cap. If it hasn't had a tuneup in a while it might be time.

If that doesn't make it idle better I would do a compression test to see if you have anything major going on.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wellllll.............. I just bought it about a month ago. It supposedly had a new (or rebuilt) motor put in 40k miles ago, and has since had new plugs/wires/dist. I took it to the dealer when I bought it to give it a once over and the mechanic said he thought it seemed like a good strong motor, no issues that he could see. At this point it's nothing more than an annoyance, but would still like to figure it out. If I can make it another week or 2, it ought to be warm enough to get my bike out so I can work on the truck a while in the garage. Oh, and I should mention that I can't feel any problems when I'm driving, only when it idles. It's at least a few minutes apart each time at idle.

Hartwell

Reaction score
Wellllll.............. I just bought it about a month ago. It supposedly had a new (or rebuilt) motor put in 40k miles ago, and has since had new plugs/wires/dist. I took it to the dealer when I bought it to give it a once over and the mechanic said he thought it seemed like a good strong motor, no issues that he could see. At this point it's nothing more than an annoyance, but would still like to figure it out. If I can make it another week or 2, it ought to be warm enough to get my bike out so I can work on the truck a while in the garage. Oh, and I should mention that I can't feel any problems when I'm driving, only when it idles. It's at least a few minutes apart each time at idle.

Did you ever solve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk