96 vortec need insight mpg low end torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshk1500

Reaction score
ok new to here and forums in general. I have a new to me 1996 ecsb k1500 108k mi . its a solid truck but needs some help . exhaust leak crusty brakelines loose steering and a little body rot (ohio) what I would like is help on a decent cost effective setup for towing and hiway mpgs. looking for torque

my plan is to get a set of 88-95 long tube headers or possibly the flowtech afterburners with y-pipe. into a nice sounding muffler out the stock location deleting the egr, cats, and rear o2 sensors? I realize I will need a tune, I have no knowledge of this so help would be great. also If I have to pay for a tune should I go ahead and put a cam in? do they make one for my need wants? if im off track let me know, .

my next attempt will be deleting the abs.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
NBS master cylinder swap would be a good mod when you delete the ABS, AD244 alternator upgrade would also be a minimally invasive mod that really helps. Cam would be your choice, I wouldn go over an RV series cam tho. If you do the cam, you will have to pull the intake, which likely needs gaskets anyway, kinda kill 2 birds with that stone. Replace the timing cover if you pull it off, they are 1 time use.

joshk1500

Reaction score
do you have any experience with the abs delete? concerned about computer problems . and why upgrade the alternator? thought the same thing with the intake gasket bird.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Alternators on these trucks are not terribly strong. Not a necessity but its a nice little upgrade. My abs is not plugged up, but my module is still on the truck. The proportioning valve is gonna get deleted when you take the ABS module off it, so you will have to add a aftermarket one (im gonna buy an adjustable one when i do mine so i can set my rear brake bias where i want it)

98_k1500

Reaction score
Throttle lip mod will also make it feel a little more peppy/responsive, but its not really gonna help actual power numbers much. Its practically free other than 2 pop rivets tho. I did mine and like the results.

joshk1500

Reaction score
that's my plan the prop valve, figured since I had to do all the lines any way id just get it outta the way. abs light is on and the breaks are VERY soft as is.

98_k1500

Reaction score
NBS master would help, and disassembling/cleaning/rebuilding your back brakes would probably not be a bad idea either. I just took the ABS light out of my cluster.

joshk1500

Reaction score
Anybody shed some light on tuning and cam selection for torque and fuel economy ... need to do the exhaust and will need a tune but have no experience here.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No experience with cam selection personally but tuning for 96+ is a no brainer, go with Black Bear Performance. Best thing I ever did to my truck and they'll customize things however you'd like. Cheap too, and free re-tunes for life.

joshk1500

Reaction score
I've heard the name on here, how cheap and are they better than pcmforless? Only reason I ask is I'm not that far from stow Ohio where pcm is. Do their people know these engines well and give guidance as to what's needed... thanks