96 Suburban ABS Module - unfixable and unsure what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you go chucking the whole unit into the garbage, you need to get access to a high level scanner, be it a dealer Tech 2 or clone. I'm sure a Snap-on, Matco, or equivalent would work too.

You need to know if it's even capable of communicating and for our year, it's not CAN bus. That's why you need a different tool to read ABS codes, it's a completely separate communication protocol on a different set of wires located on the OBD2 DLC under instrument panel.

It could be that the problem lies OUTSIDE of the ABS. During POST(Power On Self Test), the unit is checking it's own memory, communication with the ECM and the presence of Wheel Speed Sensors. If any of these fail, the ABS light illuminates.

Here is something else that does cause the ABS light to come on: a stuck motor. The motor can be removed, two rivets need drilled, and the motor can be disassembled even further so you can clean out the buildup of dust caused by the motor brushes. After having started the engine and you begin to move more than 3-4mph, the ABS will cycle it's electric motor momentarily. If the motor doesn't cycle....yep, ABS light. This I know from personal experience. One day I didn't hear my ABS cycle and there was the light. The fix was a good motor cleaning and I haven't had a problem since. This was about a decade ago.

WARNING AND DISCLAIMER: removal and installation of the electric motor can be a bit tricky. Patience and small tools are mandatory to help push the pistons(of the hydro pumps)back in place to install the motor. Removing the upper control unit(super easy) while you remove or install the motor is mandatory. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I THINK I remember reading somewhere that if the BRAKE light is burnt out in the instrument cluster or if no bulb is sensed, the ABS light is turned on.

The point is that unless someone applied reverse polarity or if the voltage spiked well above 16volts(this is an estimate, not a actual spec), then it's not very likely that the control unit is damaged. I'm not saying yours isn't, but it's not very likely given what I have uncovered.

The lower electro-hydraulic portion, on the other hand, is near indestructible.....as long as rust from the lines is flushed away during regular bleeds. Rust particles can definitely affect the ability of the TWO hydraulic pumps to effectively do their job.

My dissection and analysis of my ABS unit is just a side project. Eventually, I'd like to learn how to communicate with it on a very basic level; not unlike a dealer tool, more powerful actually. I'd like the ability to change basic parameters and even study the algorithms they used to calculate when the unit activates. I just think it's impressive how much advanced technology for the mid 90's is packed into that unit.

My hope is that getting that deep into the firmware would illuminate the exact differences that are programmed for each GVWR and vehicle configuration. My truck is now 25 years old, how has someone not hacked into one of these things already? I guess it's more profitable to hack PCMs. :-/

Final thought and suggestion: do you have any other brake problems? Any problem that could cause the proportioning valve, where all the brake lines connect to the ABS, to activate it's switch?

Hat off to you man. Awesome tips

Twin_Flyer

Reaction score
When I bought my '98 Suburban last October, the ABS was disconnected (wires were green inside). found a replacement assembly (module plus ABS block) on eBay for $75 and a harness in another auction for $25. Don't need it functioning to pass inspection in NY but wanted it working just the same.

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if they actually check ABS functionality on 90's GM products in Cali through the data link connector (OBDII port). I kind of doubt it because it would probably cost them a fair bit to be able to.

The good thing about the Vortec 96-00 trucks is that the ABS light is fed directly from a wire on the ABS unit, so you could just pull the fuse that powers the ABS unit and the light will go off. If that doesn't do it, figure out which wire feeds the ABS dash light at the ABS computer and snip 1/4" out and wrap it in electrical tape. No more light. Not like newer vehicles with CanBus that will keep the cluster light on if they lose comms with any of the modules. The ABS unit is supposed to work fine as just a dumb proportioning valve if it has no power.

Tie that wire into your oil pressure light circuit if you need it to light up on the dash when you flip the key to "on" before startup. I can't see them checking anything more than the light. ABS is something I'm really not a fan of on an older vehicle anyways, it can make unpredictable things happen during a panic stop.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you pay shipping I'll send you two good abs units. One off my 96 and other off my 98 parts truck. Abs bout got me hurt on my 96. I'd rather lock up all 4 so I can control it not the abs. I use a 87 proportioning valve and worked great on previous trucks. You can unhook the big red wire and leave black hooked up and it wont set any lights

Scott Hanson

Reaction score
I'm doing a car-part.com search for ya, looks like they wanna know if its vacuum or hydro-boost system.

car-part.com is a national junkyard interchange search, it will allow you to search all wrecking yards that publish their inventory for just about any part on a particular vehicle. I use it all the time.

It looks like B&R autowrecking has a few trucks that have available ABS units , I'd give them a call.

Is there a site that can tell me if I have vacuum or hydroboost by the VIN? I don't know how to tell...

Scott Hanson

Reaction score
If you pay shipping I'll send you two good abs units. One off my 96 and other off my 98 parts truck. Abs bout got me hurt on my 96. I'd rather lock up all 4 so I can control it not the abs. I use a 87 proportioning valve and worked great on previous trucks. You can unhook the big red wire and leave black hooked up and it wont set any lights

I would SUPER appreciate that - messaged!