96 sierra 700r4 problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
you know what i ran the numbers on the tranny and it is a 4l60e there was some nonsense on the side that sed 700r4 but do you know how much the filter would be i know my neighbor has the same truck and he drained the fluid and changed the filter and it cost him like $80 in just fluid

I would venture to say, if it cost him $80 and he has the same truck, i would say its going to cost you $80...

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea haha, 700R4 doesn't have one.

I've heard them called detent cables, TV cable, Trans cable, kickdown cables. So I'm sure he's thinking the same thing. I wouldn't worry too much unless nobody can figure out what they are talking about

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I've heard them called detent cables, TV cable, Trans cable, kickdown cables. So I'm sure he's thinking the same thing. I wouldn't worry too much unless nobody can figure out what they are talking about

Detent/Kickdown cables are alot different then a TV cable.

700R4 has a TV cable, which controls the pressure in the trans i believe, if not setup right it WILL screw your trans.

Detent/Kickdown cables were on TH350's and its variants (TH400 didn't get any cable), it controls a valve on the valve body that shifts the trans down to second when the pedal is mashed, if it isnt hooked up, the trans will be fine just wont kickdown.

but to get back on topic, i believe 1993? was first year of 4L60E, easy way to tell is if the truck has a TV cable it is a 700R4, if it doesn't, it is a 4L60E

4L60E doesn't have a cable of any kind.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Detent/Kickdown cables are alot different then a TV cable.

700R4 has a TV cable, which controls the pressure in the trans i believe, if not setup right it WILL screw your trans.

Detent/Kickdown cables were on TH350's and its variants (TH400 didn't get any cable), it controls a valve on the valve body that shifts the trans down to second when the pedal is mashed, if it isnt hooked up, the trans will be fine just wont kickdown.

but to get back on topic, i believe 1993? was first year of 4L60E, easy way to tell is if the truck has a TV cable it is a 700R4, if it doesn't, it is a 4L60E

4L60E doesn't have a cable of any kind.
Hmmmm...I didn't know that...always heard it was detent...when I ordered one for my 88 that had a700r4 all the part stores and aamco and the Trans shop called it detent...I've adjusted it before...learn something new everyday

Tapatapatalk