96 k1500 wont start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wired1141

Reaction score
96 k1500 will not start but acts like it will soooooooo......lost. Will start after setting overnight but after about a couple or min it looses power until it dies then will not restart but wants to. Changed the temp sensor but same thing. Any ideas?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 k1500 will not start but acts like it will soooooooo......lost. Will start after setting overnight but after about a couple or min it looses power until it dies then will not restart but wants to. Changed the temp sensor but same thing. Any ideas?

What is your fuel pressure?

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Stuff like this has happened to be over the last 6 months. Cranks with ZERO problems, but no turning over.

-check for gas pressure. I simply disconnected a fuel line right behind my throttle body and tried cranking it. It shot out ZERO gas.
------------That ended up being my fuel pump.

-One day started up fine, next minute it left me stranded at Discount Tire. Cranked all damn day, would only start if I reset my battery.
------------That ended up being my ICM (Ignition control moduel) And oh boy was it fun to drive it home. It died twice randomly in heavy traffic. I dont even like talking about it. It was a nightmare...

Check for fuel pressure. If its not shooting any gas, start cheap..... Replace your fuel filter, your fuel pump relay, etc, if nothing works, odds are it is your fuel pump. Which wouldnt surprise me. Its pretty common in these trucks due to the age.

Also, If youre going to make 2 posts on the forum simply asking for help. It also will help us out alot if you include the engine spec and miles. Just to give us some incite to what it could possibly be.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Fuel pressure test is the place to start, not hard to do at all. Look it up on YouTube if you need details. The test kits can be had for very cheap at Harbor Freight.

I had starting issues myself and it turned out to be a very weak fuel pump.