96 hoe fuel issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
we picked up a 96 tahoe ran for awhile went to the gas station and it died, havent been able to start it since. hooked a meter up to it and the new pump and old pump are only reading 20lbs of pressure so the injectors wont even pop open at that point. the system primes and all that etc etc. upon firther inspection and line tracking we noticed one line going into the manifold, closes to the brake booster wasnt seated at all. we tried to tighten the clip and it snapped. we cant find that clip at any auto parts junkyards etc so if anyone has one please let me know asap.

would that unseated line cause a loss in pressure? we cant afford to spend another 200 bucks on a fuel pump so thats simply out of the question. if all else fails we are going carb and sell the vortec stuff. since the hoe already has a 400 trans a carb swap shouldnt be any issue whatsoever.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it wasn't leaking I wouldn't think so. change the filter.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
new pump, filter, intake gaskets, checked the whole spider down there, checked the harness. only thing missing on the wiring harness is every ground strap. would that cause something?

new battery too. well new out of our friends truck, id think if the system didnt have 12 volts the fuel pump wouldnt even start to prime.

we tested everything. there was something about the pressure sender and it being used as a backup circuit or something for the fuel pump. the engine had low oil and when we added some the pump started to prime again so idt thats the case.

we know its fuel related because it would at least try to start on ether. it doesnt even try when you prime it turn it over etc. it just turns over and over and over and over again.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
may or may not solve your problem but you need to get those ground straps on

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
im aware dumb 8 mile peeps tried to do an engine swap and only used one strap that they made. ive been trying to get ahold of baron but he hasnt put the invoice through yet.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If new and old pump reads same pressure clamp off the return line back to the tank lightly with a vice grip and check pressure again. If pressure goes up alot your fuel pressure regulator is shot.