96 GMC K2500 Suburban Restoration (with a couple of mods)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That brings back memories of having mine sanded back to bare metal as the paint was so bad I wanted the new paint would to new all the way through. The downside is that so much of the zinc coating gets removed making it prone to rusting anytime it gets a scratch. I keep a close eye on chips etc and touch them up straight away. I am impressed they got the flares off okay as the little nuts rust away and tend to snap off when being removed. It's going to look a million bucks when its finished.
Thanks! As it turned out, there wasn't any rust under the flares. Didn't know that about the zinc coating, though. Thanks for that info!

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! As it turned out, there wasn't any rust under the flares. Didn't know that about the zinc coating, though. Thanks for that info!
The plastic factory flares have a metal strip moulded into them with threaded studs sticking out that got through those holes in your guards and it is those that rust. In fact there are 2 screws on each side that cant be accessed without removing the guards so I just cut them off as I had wider aftermarket flares to cover the 33x12.5/15 tires. The bodies and panels were al zinc coated so unless you were in a state that puts salt on the roads you shouldn't get any rust without having previously damaged the coating.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plastic factory flares have a metal strip moulded into them with threaded studs sticking out that got through those holes in your guards and it is those that rust. In fact there are 2 screws on each side that cant be accessed without removing the guards so I just cut them off as I had wider aftermarket flares to cover the 33x12.5/15 tires. The bodies and panels were al zinc coated so unless you were in a state that puts salt on the roads you shouldn't get any rust without having previously damaged the coating.
Good to know. These are aftermarket flares, which are supposed to mimic the stock ones; not sure about a metal strip. Apparently there were some minor fitment issues. Not sure exactly what the body guy had to do to make them work, but he said it should be fine.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have an appointment Monday to get the transmission flushed and the diff oil changed. Wanted to get that done before we hitch it up to the camper on Tuesday and take it out on its first camping trip. I was hoping to have time to install the aftermarket sound system before leaving, but that's not happening.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back from the body shop!

You must be registered for see images attach

More pics to follow, when I get a chance. It turned out really well, I think, except that the rear fender flares (aftermarket) were a PITA to install. The right rear doesn't fit quite right, so I'll send pics to the seller and see if they'll do anything. Otherwise I'll try to source a set of OEMs for the rear. Sigh.

The badges on the rear doors were pretty beat, so the painter left them off. I haven't decided whether to leave it debadged or find refurbished ones and have him install them. I like the stock look, but we'll see.

Anyway, it's great to finally have it back.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Back from the body shop!

More pics to follow, when I get a chance. It turned out really well, I think, except that the rear fender flares (aftermarket) were a PITA to install. The right rear doesn't fit quite right, so I'll send pics to the seller and see if they'll do anything. Otherwise I'll try to source a set of OEMs for the rear. Sigh.

The badges on the rear doors were pretty beat, so the painter left them off. I haven't decided whether to leave it debadged or find refurbished ones and have him install them. I like the stock look, but we'll see.

Looks good.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back from the body shop!

That looks awesome, the downside is you now going to be worried everytime you take it out that some one will bump doors or squeeze between vehicles with a zipper on their jacket and put that first scratch or scuff on it. Don't worry, it will happen, it's a fact of life, and then you won't be so worried about it. The factory flares were bolted on throught the holes you have in the guards, and I don't think they are available anymore, but the aftermarket ones usually rely on adhesive foam strip to adhere to the paint but if the flares are out of shape then they come away after a while when the foam breaks down. That's were mine are at so I have got special panel mounting tape that is just the adhesive but without the foam in the middle and sticks like wet s**t to a blanket. I also hunted down the new badges as it made the truck look finished and looked like a new truck but unfortunately after 2 years the moisture is getting in and the red is already looking washed out like the old ones were. Take lots of pictures and then just enjoy driving it.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks awesome, the downside is you now going to be worried everytime you take it out that some one will bump doors or squeeze between vehicles with a zipper on their jacket and put that first scratch or scuff on it. Don't worry, it will happen, it's a fact of life, and then you won't be so worried about it. The factory flares were bolted on throught the holes you have in the guards, and I don't think they are available anymore, but the aftermarket ones usually rely on adhesive foam strip to adhere to the paint but if the flares are out of shape then they come away after a while when the foam breaks down. That's were mine are at so I have got special panel mounting tape that is just the adhesive but without the foam in the middle and sticks like wet s**t to a blanket. I also hunted down the new badges as it made the truck look finished and looked like a new truck but unfortunately after 2 years the moisture is getting in and the red is already looking washed out like the old ones were. Take lots of pictures and then just enjoy driving it.
Yeah, yesterday I pulled out of a grassy parking area at a local ballfield and managed to get mud on the rear quarter panel!!

The larger issue, of course, is that the rear fender flares (from carparts.com) don't quite fit. The front ones appear to be ok. Not sure what to do about that.
As far as parking lot dings, I am quite happy to walk an extra 100 yds to park away from other vehicles so as to avoid such things. Not 100% guaranteed, but pretty doable. I just sold a car with 60,000 miles on it that had zero door dings.

That said, this is a tow vehicle for a camping trailer, and as such will almost certainly get some scratches eventually. As you suggest, I'll do the best I can and just drive it. I'll post more pics when I have a chance.