96-98 Vortec Alternator Upgrade AD244

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I also price-shopped too before ordering it. Even though they're basically the same setup, just the one for the Isuzu was cheapest of all the others, even other vehicles with same power output or less. Isuzu 165amp was less than the Chevy 145amp.....with same case, plug orientation, output terminal location, etc.

Remember what you paid?

It will likely be different here, but it could be a useful point of reference for haggling and shopping.

That extra 20 amps might be a deal maker too....:)

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well I know the Isuzu's 5.3 uses a larger diameter crankshaft pulley than the chevy, so the alt has a larger pulley, so you gotta make sure to swap it to your stock pulley on your factory alt. I posted in here what it cost at the time I did the swap, but that was a few pages back, lol. Ummmmm, I know it was under $130 from a Jim's Auto Parts(which is backed by Napa).

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Yes it did, it uses the factory plug on my 6.5 also. That's why I had to use one from an '04 Isuzu Ascender with the 5.3, because that was the first vehicle I found that had the plug-in, output terminal, etc all in the same position as mine.

When I look on the Autozone and Advance Auto Parts sites I do not see a 165 amp alternator as a option to select where are you seeing the 165 amp alternator at?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
When I look on the Autozone and Advance Auto Parts sites I do not see a 165 amp alternator as a option to select where are you seeing the 165 amp alternator at?

It was one I purchased locally at a Jim's Auto Parts, they're backed by napa. It looks identical to a 145amp model, with the exception of the voltage regulator, the heatsink is MUCH bigger. I'll go take some pics real quick and post them here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got the joy of doing this upgrade in 14* weather tonight. the stock 105A was starting to intermittently squeal and I verified it was the bearings even though a local shop redid them and brushes about 2 years ago. I went with a CS144 from a 98 suburban. I got a m10x100 bolt for the driver side bolt and drilled the passenger side bracket hole big enough to fit a 5/16" bolt through. I already have the big 3 upgrade so this was next on my list with all my lights and e fan, just didn't want to do it in this weather.

Got it brand new from O'Reilly's for $168 out the door as I kept my stocker to get rebuilt better at a later date. gauge shows 16v or so, but I need to check it with a multimeter when it is warmer out.

Stock belt works just fine and stock plug as well

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did the ad244 swap Saturday. after some searching I found that both lugs use metra pak 150 connectors so there was no splicing needed. just swap the wire. had an issue with no charging. turned out to be a bad ground so I added a ground to the case by drilling and tapping a hole.

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
Well damn I didn't know there was a way to make those fit on the tbi engine. I have a 95 also and was going to pay a local shop to upgrade my stocker to 200A for $180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That isn't a bad deal really and if you can afford the downtime then do it, if mine wasn't a DD and it wasn't 14* outside I would have dropped mine off at my local trusted alt/starter guy.

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking that. It's not my dd so it doesn't matter. Also the rebuild will make it 1 wire. Not exactly sure if that's a good thing or if it really matters but that's what he told me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Making it a 1-wire alt means the alt is self-exciting.....it's ok as long as the alt is spinning fast enough to turn itself on at idle, else you won't be charging at idle speed and will be running off battery power.