96-98 Vortec Alternator Upgrade AD244

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The direct replacement for your specific engine is the same as mine, 2004 Isuzu Ascender with the 5.3. Make sure you choose the 145 or 165amp version.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I went to put the bigger alt out of my 2000 Yukon denali with a 5.7 into my 1997 GMC 1500 with the 5.7 and the plugs are different.
The round plug is the one on my 1500 and the other plug is the one on the Yukon. I thought that these were plug and play but I guess not. Can I cut and swap plugs?
My truck plug:
You must be registered for see images attach

Yukon plug:
You must be registered for see images attach

If I can switch plugs ill do that because im pretty sure the bearings in my alternator are shot or on theyre way there.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Try removing the pin, it looks like they're the same style attachment. This way you don't have to cut the wires and crimp connect them. It would look more professional if it was possible to swap pins in the plugs.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try removing the pin, it looks like they're the same style attachment. This way you don't have to cut the wires and crimp connect them. It would look more professional if it was possible to swap pins in the plugs.

So the wire serves the same purpose? That was my concern.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If both of the plugs each have only a single wire, then yes, they both serve as field turn-on wires, which is what turns the alternator on so it can output power. If you left them unplugged, the engine would just run off the battery until the voltage got low enough that it couldn't power the computer.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If both of the plugs each have only a single wire, then yes, they both serve as field turn-on wires, which is what turns the alternator on so it can output power. If you left them unplugged, the engine would just run off the battery until the voltage got low enough that it couldn't power the computer.

Ok thank you I will be doing this.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
How do you tell if you need a AD244 with a two or four wire plug? Do I just count the number of wires in my current CS130D?

I have a 97 GMC K3500 with a 6.5TD. I think my CS130D has three wires in the alternator plug. I do know the 6.5TD gets the tack signal from the alternator.

It does indeed. It takes it's signal off one of the windings. The dash gauge is effected by pulley size, that's why you have to make sure a replacement has the right size pulley or you have to swap them over. I've got a couple in a drawer in the garage just for that purpose. The PCM gets it's RPM signal from the CPS, so no worries there.

I'm running a dual 105 alt setup, but would sure like to convert to an AD244 so I can mount the plow pump in the second alt location.

I'm seeing specs that list anywhere from 100-200 A cold and 125A @ 2400 rpm hot.

Wish I could find some concrete specifications on it....

@ MObs: Did your tachometer function properly after swapping the AD244?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
It does indeed. It takes it's signal off one of the windings. The dash gauge is effected by pulley size, that's why you have to make sure a replacement has the right size pulley or you have to swap them over. I've got a couple in a drawer in the garage just for that purpose. The PCM gets it's RPM signal from the CPS, so no worries there.

I'm running a dual 105 alt setup, but would sure like to convert to an AD244 so I can mount the plow pump in the second alt location.

I'm seeing specs that list anywhere from 100-200 A cold and 125A @ 2400 rpm hot.

Wish I could find some concrete specifications on it....

@ MObs: Did your tachometer function properly after swapping the AD244?

Yes it did, it uses the factory plug on my 6.5 also. That's why I had to use one from an '04 Isuzu Ascender with the 5.3, because that was the first vehicle I found that had the plug-in, output terminal, etc all in the same position as mine.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yes it did, it uses the factory plug on my 6.5 also. That's why I had to use one from an '04 Isuzu Ascender with the 5.3, because that was the first vehicle I found that had the plug-in, output terminal, etc all in the same position as mine.

Thanks for the reply. I did a little digging and it seems a 2001 DUramax ad244 is a straight over swap for a 96+ 6.5 TD.

same pulley, same plug in, drops right in to the mount.

Haven't tried it yet myself, but it comes from what I would consider a very reliable source...

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did a little digging and it seems a 2001 DUramax ad244 is a straight over swap for a 96+ 6.5 TD.

same pulley, same plug in, drops right in to the mount.

Haven't tried it yet myself, but it comes from what I would consider a very reliable source...

I also price-shopped too before ordering it. Even though they're basically the same setup, just the one for the Isuzu was cheapest of all the others, even other vehicles with same power output or less. Isuzu 165amp was less than the Chevy 145amp.....with same case, plug orientation, output terminal location, etc.