96-98 Vortec Alternator Upgrade AD244

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I found a direct replacement on eBay for $119 except its 200amp vs 145

Watch out for the ones that aren't a well-known brand or seem too good to be true, as an alt is supposed to be rated at operating temperature. Alot of people are listing them at their cold temp output, which is alot higher usually. Mine does 245amps at 40 degrees-F, 165amps at operating temperature.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Watch out for the ones that aren't a well-known brand or seem too good to be true, as an alt is supposed to be rated at operating temperature. Alot of people are listing them at their cold temp output, which is alot higher usually. Mine does 245amps at 40 degrees-F, 165amps at operating temperature.

i got mine because i did efans, and my tock alternator couldnt handle running the truck, running the efans and the hids, not to mention any other thing drawing, but my 200amp handles it with ease

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I had ordered the AD244 and new Gator Back belt a few months ago, and when I got my truck back from wiring it was apparent that I needed to put it in before I take it and run all the fans and offroad lights. I should have installed it when I first got it.

You must be registered for see images attach

jonstreet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Saw this and I had a ? on my 1995 5.7 tbi I have two alternator's as well two choose from found that mine is the smaller one. So, Can I just get a larger belt and swap to the bigger amp one or do you think I will just have to do a dry fit to see. I have two Polk momo 12's running at 1 ohm and a 1000.1 Memphis Class D amp to power them I have a yellow top but I'm seeing the Volts drop to like 9.5 to 10Volts crazy doing the "Big 3" today, I think it looks good on the truck with the clean aftermarket wires but I dont believe this will solve the problem, Just running two much, Thx guys Jon

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
What size amp power and ground wires do you have? They should be 2ga or bigger, to provide adequate power. The voltage shouldn't drop below battery rest voltage if you're running the system off the alternator. What is the voltage drop when the engine is off? If it's hitting the 9's even with engine running, it's doing damage to the amp and prolly affecting your truck's idle speed. Rev your truck to about 1800-2200rpm, then play your system and see what voltage drop you're getting.

jonstreet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah found a faulty starter yesterday putting it today, then I'll know for sure. I and going to do 2ga power and ground and to alternator. but its the big wire for car batteries we have rolls of it at the store. thinker wire than the 0ga I normally run in my trucks.

drbizerk

Reaction score
instead of buying a 40 dollar belt you should hit the yard and get a couple different sizes of idler pully

drbizerk

Reaction score
I just fabbed up my bracket for three alts on the driver side I have one in the airpump location as well